Chapter 31 - Vindicate

Jian Shu was bewildered.

Although he was so close to Pei Ce, he heard what Pei Ce said very clearly. However, he still couldn't believe his ears.

So, hesitatingly and cautiously, he asked again, "What did you say?"

His tone was filled with anticipation.

He hoped that he had misunderstood those words, hoping that Pei Ce would stay with him.

The dazzling and magnificent eyes of Pei Ce, which were shining with splendid flames, seemed to cool down a bit. He withdrew his fingers touching Jian Shu's forehead and repeated, "Pack your things, Ah Qi will send you away tomorrow."

In that moment, Jian Shu suddenly felt dizzy.

Unable to hear the rain around him or see the scattered flames in the sky, his vision became so narrow, so narrow that he couldn't see anything except Pei Ce. There was a spreading and finely dense ache in his heart, and for a moment, he couldn't control his own movements, trembling uncontrollably.

"Do you... want me to leave?" He stubbornly held back his tears, but the trailing tone betrayed his emotions with a slight quiver.

The grievances came so quickly and so abundantly.

He didn't originally belong to Yucheng, and if Pei Ce didn't want him to stay, he could only leave.

But after leaving Yucheng, where could he go?

He couldn't return to his former home, and he didn't want to return to his current home. He just wanted to stay in Yucheng quietly, without needing any status, without needing everyone in Yucheng to be friendly to him, without needing good food and accommodation. Just staying quietly here, was that too much to ask?

"You should have your own life," Pei Ce said, so close to him, his voice gentle. "Go home, study, play, go back to your original life."

Jian Shu's eyes immediately turned red.

Such words had been said to him by Aunt Li, but at that time, he didn't have such a strong attachment to Yucheng.

He no longer had a home, and yet he was asked to go where?

"If you don't want to go back to your foster father's home," Pei Ce said calmly, "I've arranged a property for you in Wu City, on the third floor, facing north with a large south-facing balcony. They say there aren't many people there, it's a quiet and beautiful place."

Listening to Pei Ce's description, from the initial bitterness, it gradually turned into disbelief. "Do you think I don't want to leave, and all I want is a house?"

This was the house he had described before, the small house he had hoped for. At that time, when Pei Ce asked him, he joyfully shared his envisioned future with him. He even couldn't help but include Pei Ce in that future.

So, when he was full of joy, was Pei Ce already thinking about how to send him away?

Pei Ce didn't answer.

Even though his chest was hollow and no longer beating, the expression of the boy stubbornly biting his lower lip to prevent himself from crying spread a sense of bitterness in the hollow chest.

"It's late," Pei Ce said softly. "Rest early."

With that, he turned and walked away slowly.

In the courtyard, the drizzle continued, and the flames moving in the night sky swept across Jian Shu's face, leaving a faint warmth.

Standing under this splendid scenery, Jian Shu watched Pei Ce leave, watched him close the door, and watched everything around him return to calm.

The power left on Jian Shu has not yet been recovered. That layer of light blocked the rain and fog at night, but it didn't block the heavy rain in Jian Shu's heart.