Chapter 30 - Celebrate Your Birthday

Jian Shu pondered for a moment.

He lacked nothing in Yucheng; even though those people didn't harbor any goodwill towards him, they maintained a facade of respect, and everything he needed for daily life was readily available.

"I don't want anything," he replied.

"What about your birthday?" Pei Ce asked again. "I've asked others, and in the mortal world, turning eighteen is considered an adult ceremony. How would you like to celebrate?"

Jian Shu had little experience with birthdays.

He thought hard again. In previous years, when Jian Lin celebrated his birthday, his foster parents would give him many gifts, and the cake would be the centerpiece. Jian Lin could also take money and go out with friends to eat, drink, and have fun. Jian Shu had indeed envied that. Envy for Jian Lin, who had family, friends, and so much love surrounding him.

But now, meeting Pei Ce in Yucheng and replacing Jian Lin seemed to offset all the envy from the past.

So, he shook his head. "There's nothing special about it. Birthdays are just about eating cake and blowing candles, quite boring."

Pei Ce had been staring into Jian Shu's eyes all this time.

Silently listening to him finish, Pei Ce reached out and gently patted Jian Shu's head. The hand that covered it was without warmth, cold even, yet through the strands of hair, Jian Shu felt a slight warmth on his scalp.

Even though Jian Shu didn't want Pei Ce to treat him like a child, he inevitably succumbed to such intimacy.

"When I left, did you have your meal?" Pei Ce suddenly asked.

Jian Shu resisted the urge to use his head to nuzzle into Pei Ce's hand, behaving as if he were acupunctured. "Not yet."

"Don't do this in the future." Before retracting his hand, Pei Ce tidied up the slightly long bangs in front of Jian Shu's eyes. "Don't worry about me, eat well, and sleep well."

Jian Shu even felt like his hair had gained a sense of perception.

The lifted strand of hair caused a slight tingling, and he absentmindedly responded with an "Um." Then, he was led away by Pei Ce.

Outside the courtyard, the Grand Elder and his attendants, who had never left despite the incessant rain, were ready, adjusting their postures to welcome the arrival of the Lord God.

"Lord God!" In the moment Pei Ce and Jian Shu stepped out, the mass of people knelt down in unison.

Obviously, they were waiting for the descent of divine blessings.

Pei Ce's gaze swept across the kneeling crowd. It was as if he looked through their figures, seeing the group of greedy and foolish souls from his memories.

He suddenly wanted to laugh.

So, Jian Shu saw Pei Ce's smile, mixed with a kind of mockery or disdain, amid the usual warmth.

Pei Ce led Jian Shu to approach the kneeling people.

His figure seemed clearer than before, but under the faint glow covering his entire body, he still appeared somewhat transparent.

As in the previous miracle, the Grand Elder, who knelt closest to the God, and a few other elders who were sick and suffering, under the radiance emanating from the Gog, visibly regained their spirits.

The body of the Grand Elder, who had prostrated himself and was once old and ailing, suddenly became light, and the heavy joints and slightly painful organs returned to their state before losing the favor of the divine.