Chapter 3 - The Tablet Behind the Shrine

"What, he is, the last... one?"

"Wuwuwu, I'm so scared. After so many years of silence, I thought they couldn't find the twelfth one, wuwuwu..."

"He's the last flesh offering. Why did he throw himself into the trap? Fool! Extremely foolish!"

A ghost with an unusually large head poked its head over and stuttered, "First, first calm down! Let's think, think, of a way!"

The fat ghost rolled its eyes fiercely, "Think of what? The flesh and blood offerings have come in on their own, do you still expect that one not to eat him?"

"Then, then I, before, asked, you guys to, mention, remind him. You guys, also, didn't, go!" The big-headed ghost wilted, two thin arms cradling his massive head.

The tall and thin ghost shadow shrinking in the corner sniffled, his voice resigned, "You don't know, the day he first came, that one made a big commotion. The wind and rain shook the ground at night, so it was too late for me to avoid it! Besides, even if there was no movement, the little old man in Yucheng City is also scary enough, you dare to go ah?"

Saying that, he also stretched his neck to look at Jian Shu who came in with an umbrella, and his eyes got bigger: "He smells good."

"Thinking about eating every day——" The wind passed by Jian Shu, blowing a scent that mesmerized the ghost. The fat ghost licked his lips, "That ...... those people are weirdly clever, and the blood and flesh offerings that are sent in smell better than one another."

"How, what to do, he, so fragrant, that one, must, smell it!" The big-headed ghost cried out, "Soon, it's going to be, the day."

The fat ghost shook his head and wiped the drool from the side of his mouth, "Don't be in a hurry, we'll be able to figure it out! Follow first!"

The three ghosts drifted and followed.

At the moment, Jian Shu was shaking the rainwater from his umbrella and placing it on the shelf on the porch, before finding a chair and sitting down.

Although the plants in the yard grew wildly, the house was very clean, as simple as his residence outside. He sat down and opened two wooden boxes one at a time.

One contained a fresh meal of fruit and snacks for him. The other contained matches, incense, candles, and such, items used to make offerings to the gods.

In these few days, Jian Shu had already memorized the steps for making offerings to the gods. Even though he did not quite approve of such things as Jian's excessive reverence for the gods, but as long as he was here, he was at peace, and still honestly carried the box of incense and candles towards the door.

The inner house was not big.

There were three main rooms directly to the north, and a huge shrine was enshrined in the largest one.

Jian Shu looked around. Apart from the light bulbs used for illumination, the inner house had no traces of the industrial revolution and exuded an old-fashioned atmosphere from the inside out.

The heavy red beaded curtain blocked the shrine behind it.

Jian Shu lifted the beaded curtain, and the jade slid across his palm, warm and cold. It was like red onyx.

"He's going in!" The thin ghost let out a mournful scream.

"What to do, what to do, we haven't discussed a countermeasure yet!"

The fat ghost gritted his teeth, "Time is running out. Since the sacrifice can't run away on its own, we can only have us to do it."

The big-headed ghost's voice trembled a little, "You, do you, do you want to, in advance, kill him ......"