Chapter 1 - Heading to the Yucheng City

In June, with the outdoor temperature exceeding thirty degrees, the sun boldly ruled the sky.

A black car sped from a distance, slowly coming to a halt on the tree-lined road.

The car window rolled down, and a middle-aged man of about forty or fifty stuck his head out, asking, "Are you Jian Lin?"

Jian Shu felt a bit nervous.

The man held a printed sheet with Jian Lin's personal information and a photo ID stamped on it.

Though their facial features were similar, their eyes were different. Despite having similar face shapes and identical haircuts, a careful examination might reveal that they were two different people.

"Yes," Jian Shu nodded lightly.

The man glanced at Jian Shu, comparing the information on the sheet, and spoke with a somewhat unfriendly tone, "Why are you so late? Didn't we agree on one o'clock?"

"I'm really sorry, something came up before I could leave."

The man opened the car door with a stern expression, gesturing for Jian Shu to get in.

Jian Shu took his backpack and held it close to his chest. Due to numerous washes, the originally army green backpack had faded, with small balls forming along the edges.

The man had initially intended to complain about Jian Shu being late, but as his gaze fell upon Jian Shu's worn and slightly shabby backpack, his attitude softened a bit. He asked, "Is everything packed?"

Jian Shu's hands were clenched tightly, his whole body tense. Upon hearing the question, he nodded hesitantly, "Yes, everything is packed."

Being dependent on someone else, he didn't have much to take with him; this was his entire belongings.

"Don't be so nervous; my name has the character 'Xiao.' You can call me Uncle Xiao," the man couldn't help but glance at the obedient Jian Shu.

Earlier, the youth's bangs had covered his eyes. When he adjusted them before getting into the car, he revealed a pair of round and large eyes, with shiny black irises and pure white sclera, making him appear more innocent than his actual age.

He seemed to be a well-cared-for child from a wealthy family, but the slightly rough and fair hands clutching the backpack told a different story, hinting at a less comfortable life.

Xiao Shu's tone became gentler, "Put the bag in the back; it's going to be a long drive."

Jian Shu quickly unbuckled his seatbelt and placed the bag on the back seat.

He cautiously glanced at the driver but quickly withdrew his gaze.

Surprisingly, there was no further check of his identification information; it seemed he had managed to deceive them.

The scenery outside the window changed rapidly, and soon, it was dusk.

The beautiful sunset painted the entire sky in shades of orange, mingling with pink and gold. The urban landscape with towering buildings transformed into mountain roads, becoming increasingly remote.

From somewhere, dark clouds began to cover the once vibrant sunset outside the car window.

They entered the mountains, and light rain started falling. Jian Shu hurriedly closed the window to keep the raindrops outside.

"We're almost at Yucheng," Xiao Shu said.

Car headlights illuminated the mountain road ahead. The surrounding greenery became denser, and where the headlights shone, Jian Shu felt like he saw towering trees reaching the clouds.