Chapter 25

"Naruto stop!" you cried out as the jutsu came straight towards you.

Naruto's eyes widened. He moved his hand to the right just as it was about to collide with your stomach. He crashed into you and sent you flying down. You made a hand sign and trapped Kakuzu inside a spirit dragon to prevent him from attacking. Naruto flipped you over just as you landed on the ground. He landed on his back while your upper half landed on his upper half.

He groaned. "Ow."

You pushed yourself off the ground and sat up as you looked back at Kakuzu. He was staring at you with wide eyes and hands pressed up against the dragon's side.

"Kid! What the heck do you think you're doing?!" he demanded. "Let me out of here!"

"No," you answered. His eyes narrowed. "I'm not letting you out just yet."

"Why did you do that?" Naruto asked. You turned back to him and jumped away. He stood and looked at you with a puzzled expression. "Why did you get in the way? I could've hit you."

"Naruto!" the other man, Yamato, called out. "What are you doing?"

Naruto ignored him. "Why did you get in the way?"

"I believe I told you last time, Naruto," you told him. "But in case I imagined it, they're my family."

"That still doesn't change the fact that I almost killed you!" Naruto yelled back.

"Don't you get it?!" you shouted back. "I don't care if I die! If I save them, I don't care what happens to me! You would do the same for any of your friends."

Naruto looked at the ground. "I guess you're right. I would do that for my friends," he looked up and glared at you. "But I wouldn't betray the trust someone put in me."

"Not you too," you muttered and sighed. "I don't know what you're trying to say by that, so please explain."

"Acting innocent isn't gonna get you out of this," Choji growled.

"Calm down Choji," Naruto called out. "A-"

"Asuma has died," said a voice from behind you. You turned around and found Shikamaru, Sakura, the other boy and Farubaru... looking like you? What was Farubaru doing transforming into you? Well, she came back, that meant she had probably gotten Hidan. You noticed the bundled cloak in her arms, it was soaking with blood.

"Asuma... died?" you repeated. Shikamaru nodded. You looked down. So all your effort, had been for nothing? "And that's why you think it was me?"

"You're the only one that could've done that," Shikamaru said.

"It wasn't her," Farubaru cut in as she placed the cloak on the ground and turned back into a fox. "There's no doubt that necklace belongs to her, but there's a scent I've never smelled before," she looked at everyone around. "It's the vile scent of snake."

The Leaf shinobi gasped.

"You think it's..." Yamato asked Kakashi, trailing off instead of finishing his thought.

Kakashi nodded. "It has to be. Who else would do something like this?"

"Snake?" you asked. "I'm sorry but... for this once I'm not following."

Farubaru sighed. "Did you come in contact with anyone outside of the Akatsuki? Before this?"

"I came in contact with Shikamaru, Ino, Choji and four other Leaf shinobi," you answered. "But I think that's it."