Chapter 13

"Itachi?" you called out.

"What is it?" he answered. You were currently outside in the small garden behind the base, watching as Itachi hit all the targets with kunai. Including the one in the blind spot behind the rock. For some reason, he liked to train like this and you enjoyed watching because when no one was around you would try.

"Why is there hate in this world?" you asked. Itachi stopped moving and you looked down from the branch you were sitting on. His back was turned towards you and he was looking at the rock in concentration.

"Why do you ask me?"

"Because you're the wisest in the Akatsuki," you answered.

"That doesn't necessarily mean I have the answer."

"Well then, do you have any idea?"

"Hatred sometimes comes when others misjudge you," Itachi started. "You feel a strong feeling in the pit of your stomach, a knot in your throat and a hole in your heart. When people misjudge you, you develop a grudge towards them. That grudge eventually turns into hatred. You seek revenge against the people who misjudged you, to prove them wrong about you. But when you take revenge against them, other people will develop a grudge against you that will also turn to hatred. When they take revenge against you, you feel a strong desire to get back at them, and the endless cycle of hatred only leads to pain. 'Why is there hatred in this world?' you asked. There are many reasons. But most of the time, love is the reason why there is hate."

You stayed silent for a bit and sat up on the branch. Itachi's words replayed in your head.

"Why do people misjudge you?" you asked.

Itachi's shoulders heaved and you knew he sighed. "I don't know. But keep this in mind," he turned to look at you. "Don't judge others simply by your preconceptions and judgment based on their appearance."

"Why?"

"When you look at me, what do you see?" Itachi questioned.

You tilted your head and looked him head to toe. "Well, if I didn't know you, I'd see a calm man. But I think I know you like the back of my hand."

"Your first mistake," Itachi stated. You raised an eyebrow and gave him a questioning look. "When others look at me, they run. They know to be afraid. Not because I'm an Uchiha, but because I'm part of the Akatsuki. Your second mistake, you think you know me like the back of your hand but you only see the side of people they want you to see."

"But, ever since I've known you, you've given me good advice on things," you argued. "Why are you telling me this?"

"I'm only giving you an example of the misjudgement people give when they do not know others," Itachi answered. "When people look at you, Aiko, they might think that you're harmless."

You pouted and looked away. "Sheesh thanks."

"But when they get to know you," Itachi continued. You turned back to him. "They will know better than to underestimate you and your strength. On the outside, they don't see anything harmful about you. But on the inside, the Akatsuki know that you are stubborn, and strong but also caring and kind. Those qualities are hard to find in one person, you usually need two people for those qualities. Known as yin and yang, darkness and light. You're a special person, use your gift to bring joy to this world."

You thought about it a moment and jumped down from the branch. You walked over to him and gave him a hug. "Thank you Itachi."

He tensed up but hugged you back anyway. "You're welcome."

You pulled away and smiled at him. He gave you a small smile and poked your forehead. You stumbled back with a hand on your forehead.

"That's the second time you do that," you grumbled. "What's it supposed to mean? Are you trying to pass some of your wisdom over to me?"