Chapter 23

"Fire style: Searing migraine!"

A large flame, of great intensity, shot out towards the four Leaf shinobi. If you didn't get in the way now, they might... die.

At the very last minute, you saw them jump away. You sighed. Hidan jumped after Kakashi and crossed blades with him once more. You watched as they battled against each other. Hidan followed Kakashi up a tree as he tried to dodge the scythe. Their blades collided once and they jumped back to the ground. You barely noticed Kakashi's vest and headband were missing, making him vulnerable to more attacks.

"Boy, you really are good," Hidan complimented. The other three Leaf shinobi landed beside Kakashi. They talked amongst each other, observing, strategizing.

"Hey, Kakuzu," you whispered. He turned to look at you. "They've discovered your secret. Or they at least took a wild guess and hit the target."

"What?" he asked.

"Yeah," you whispered and stopped focusing the chakra into your ears.

"You mean, to take him down permanently," the girl, Ino, spoke. "We have to destroy the remaining four hearts?"

"Good eye once again," Kakuzu complimented. "Each of these hearts, belongs to a shinobi I faced in battle and got the better off. They can easily be replenished with your hearts for example."

They gasped while you gagged.

"Kakuzu!" you whined and put a hand to your mouth. "Gross."

"Oh by the way," Hidan called out. "You Leaf ninja, what do you do? Burials? Cause it'll be a real hassle if you do. Knowing Kakuzu, he'll totally want us to go dig for that cash cow of his," he scratched the back of his neck. "It was already a downer though, seriously. That guy with the beard went down like it was nothing ya know. Where the heck is the fun in that huh?"

"Although he did take you down a time or two didn't he?" Kakuzu asked. You clenched your fists.

"Shut up!" Hidan yelled and turned around to glare at Kakuzu. "Just butt out!" he turned back to the Leaf shinobi. "So anyway, I know you're looking for revenge. But I think you're out of your league here. You three are just pups! You must've been his students then huh? Well, with a loser like that guy teachin ya, what hopes do you guys have?"

"Shut up Hidan!" you yelled. He turned around and raised an eyebrow at your sudden outburst. "He may have lost to you but he put up a good fight. He at least deserves some credit for that doesn't he?!"

"What is it with you?" Hidan asked. "Hey, you're not siding with them, are you?"

"I'm not siding with anyone," you answered. "But you should honor the person who fought against you."

"Please, that old loser didn't stand a chance anyway," Hidan replied.

"Don't insult Asuma-sensei!" Choji yelled.

"Aw, the loving bond between teacher and student," Hidan said as he turned back to the Leaf ninja. "Heh! What a bunch of garbage."

"You jerk!" Choji yelled.

"Choji," Shikamaru tried to calm him as you watched on.

"You've not been all outta shape over that chump," Hidan paused a second. "Fatso!"

Choji's face turned red and he launched at Hidan.

"Choji!" Ino yelled. Hidan got in a defensive position, ready for Choji's attack.

Choji's hands grew bigger in size. He threw a punch at Hidan. Hidan swung his scythe in front of him but Choji stopped moving, preventing Hidan from taking any blood from him. You looked at the floor and saw the shadow, again. Hidan jumped into the air and swung down. A loud clang was heard as Kakashi blocked Hidan's scythe with a kunai. Hidan kicked him and sent him flying into the ground. You took a step forward but stopped yourself. If things seemed really out of control, then you would stop the battle. You watched as Hidan attacked and Kakashi played defense. Something crashed on the ground but you kept your attention trained on Hidan and Kakashi.