Chapter 35 - Rescue And Goodbye

Jace's POV

I sat in the van with Ethan and Nelson and no other police officer. Ethan was calling Taiya and we hoped to track her down.

"Baby." That was Taiya.

"I miss my beautiful baby girl. How are you doing?"

"Much better after I heard your voice."

"Why? What is it?"

"I had an argument with Jace again and this time, I'm fully convinced and poised to leave him."

"Good. I really appreciate that. Can we meet later tonight?"

"Uhhh...i don't think I can."

"What? I thought you're arguing with Jace. It would be very easy for you to leave."

"Yeahhh but I have plans for the evening."

"Plans more important than me?"

"Of course not baby. It's just that it can't be today."

Murmurs were heard from the background. It was Teri!

"What is that babe?"

"Just the movie."

"Ohk. Well if you say you can't, then fine. I'll be by myself."

"Don't vex baby. I promise to make it up to you."

"You will?"

"Trust me baby. We're going to be the best." She squealed.

"Sure thing. I guess we'll talk later?"

"OK baby. Mmuah."

"Love you."

"Love you too."

We were able to rejoice loudly now because we knew where Taiya was hiding.

She was in an abandoned building in an abandoned street, where a few people lived. Mostly the poor, the homeless or the lowkey drug dealers and their prostitues. A filthy place to live in.

At 3 pm, dressed haphazardly like everybody else, we began roaming the street. We found out a few people also lived in the same storey building.

We raked the building silently and were able to identify the room Taiya had kept Teri in.

We went up there and waited patiently outside to attack. Taiya came out of a room, with a cigar in between her lips. When she was out of sight, I crept inside the dark room.

I was able to locate Teri because she was whimpering and sobbing. I went to her and embraced her in a tight hug. She wanted to scream and fight me but I covered her mouth and told her it was me. She began crying a bit louder and I convinced her everything was going to be okay and she just had to trust me.

There was no other way out except the door I entered through. We heard footsteps approaching and we knew Taiya was almost entering but she was stopped.

Author's POV

Ethan and Nelson were at hidden spots around the room. Nelson had called the cops and they were scattered around the building and community.

They spotted Taiya coming back with a bottle of alcohol in her hand and as she turned the knob to enter, Ethan held her from behind, preventing her from screaming or moving.

"Is this where you have been baby." Ethan said.

"What? Ethan! What are you doing here?"

"I knew you were hiding something. Where is he? Huh? Tell me." he pushed the door slighlty open but there was no one in their sight. Teri was not in her place and Taiya was taken aback.