Chapter 33 - Separation

Teri's POV

After my outburst at Jace, I left for home. I felt really bad about what I said but the pain I was feeling was unbearable.

Walking inside the house was a struggle because I felt so weak from crying too much. My legs collapsed at my doorstep and I didn't even make an attempt to get up. I drowned myself in my tears as I waited for whoever to come home. The security guy engrossed in his music did not notice my problem so he went back into his room after opening the gate.

I was too exhausted and sleepy to even notice mum and Nana drive in.

"Oh my! Teri, what is wrong?" mum and Nana helped me up from the floor.

I had eventually fallen asleep from crying but with all the memories rushing back, my tears came back.

"Shhhh. Don't cry baby. Let's get you inside so you can tell it all."

Yes yes. I haven't told them. I haven't had time to tell them and I also couldn't just show up at the restaurant a sobbing mess.

They laid me down in the couch and mum went to fetch me some water. She handed it to me and I emptied the glass in two big gulps. I wished it was alcohol I was holding.

"Now tell us what it is Alia." mum asked.

"I - I just found out t-today that... *sob*"

I left what I was saying and started a new sentence. "A woman came t-t-to the restaurant. She she was the m-midwife *sob* that a-a-assisted my childbirth." *sob*

"I was there with Jace when she came and *sob* t-t-told me somethings that h-happened that time." I was crying more loudly at this time and Nana rubbed on my back to soothe me.

"It turns out that *sob* Chloe *sob**sob* is my daughter. My daughter never died and Taiya had them swap our babies because hers died." *sob**sob*

Mum hugged me tightly. "That's unbelievable! My goodness! I'm so sorry dear."

Nana kissed my head and also joined in the hug. "Cry it all out baby." Nana said.

I cried myself to sleep again, while still in their arms. I was too tired that it took just few minutes for my eye lids to grow heavy.

When I woke up around 1 am, I was neatly tucked into my bed. I was disappointed I had been able to sleep despite what had just happened. I went downstairs to find myself something to drink. All I could find was juices, water and ice cream. I would have gone for ice cream if I was dealing with breakup but this was more than breakup so I needed something more, something stronger, something to calm me. Alcohol.

I eventually found a bottle of vodka and I wasted no time in satisfying myself. This was just the thing to make me forget everything. I plopped myself on the couch in the living room. With the television on just to keep me company, I consumed as much alcohol as I could before sleep consumed me again.

*****
"What the- Teri!" mum shouted at me.

I had managed to wake up around 7 am even though I didn't sleep early and guess what? I continued from where I left off earlier.

"No mum, leave me alone." I tried to push her away as she attempted to grab the bottle of alcohol.

"Young lady, why should you drink this much alcohol? It's not good for your health."

"Go away mum. Let me sleep." I slurred and tried to push her away again.

"Sure you can sleep. I'm guessing you're really tired but please, no more alcohol."

"I need the bottle please." mum snatched it from my hold.

"Teri listen! Alcohol isn't going to solve anything. You need to embrace yourself. What has happened has happened. Try to find something else doing, something better."

I looked at her with my red, puffy eyes. "What is there to do? You don't expect me to go to work. The only thing I can do is to mourn-" I stopped and wailed.