Chapter 23 - Awake

Teri's POV

I felt an aching pain in my heart as my eyes slowly fluttered open. I looked around and my eyes finally landed on the brown haired lady that was asleep with her head on my bed.

I raised my hand painfully to touch her hair. She stirred in her sleep upon feeling the touch.

"Mama." I choked out.

She woke up abruptly, as if just from a nightmare. Seeing my eyes open, her mouth hung open. In the blink of an eye, she rushed to me and pulled me in for a long hug. Then she scantered outside and then she came back in with a nurse.

The nurse performed some check ups on me and confirmed I was fine.

"Dear," my mother was sobbing.

"Ma." I choked out again. My voice was raspy and my throat hurt. I must have been gone for long.

She pulled me in for another hug and I relaxed into it, inhaling her peachy scent and the familiar scent of her favorite Victoria Secret perfume.

Her hands roamed my hair as she kissed me continuously, muttering inaudible things. I think she was thanking God.

"Everybody's going to be so happy to see you." She pulled away from the hug. I was all smiley at her show of happiness.

"H-how long have I-I been gone." I managed to say.

"Oh dear. You were asleep for 2 weeks."

"2 weeks? So that ma-akes today?"

"Today's -"

Someone or maybe two, no three people burst into the room. It was Layla followed by Prilla then finally Jayden. They were dressed in funny attires. They look like they had just come from a-

"Today's Saturday? " I turned my attention towards my mother and she nodded. Shit. Today was Jace's wedding. So he finally got married. The pain from earlier made a repeat.

"Oh God Teri." the trio rushed to my side. I was engulfed in kisses and hugs and I smiled all through that. My friends were here for me.

"It's good to see you again cuz." Jayden pulled me into another warm hug. Cuz? As in Cuz for cousin or Cuz for... . Maybe it was a new name he had found for me.

"Same feelings here." I replied.

"You seem to just come back from... Jace's wedding?"

Prilla was the first to answer. "Oh yeah. We rushed here immediately we heard you were awake. You don't know how happy I am to see you awake. I was scared for a minute you were going to- but never mind. What matters now is that you are awake." She ranted and ended with a squeal.

Jayden and Prilla chuckled. Even my mother too.

" I'm happy to see you too. " I smiled back.

I couldn't laugh because of the pain I was still feeling and the aching feeling in my chest. I coughed and I felt the metallic taste in my mouth. I felt the urge to cough more and when I did, my sheets and the ground were covered with red dots of blood.

The nurse from earlier was called and she and Layla helped me out. It was just a reaction from all the meds I took.

My friends stayed for a while, telling me about lots of things I had missed in the two weeks. I really missed a lot in that short period of time.

*****
Try hard as I could, my eyes wouldn't just shut. I checked the clock on the wall and it read 12.30am. I closed my eyes and yawned yet sleep just wouldn't corrupt me.

In an attempt to find something to do, my mind shifted to Jace. Why Jace? He is probably having the time of his life with his wife. Why waste my energy on thinking about him. I looked around the room and though it was dark, I was still able to make up my mother's bag. I wobbled to the bag and took out my phone.