Chapter 17 - Men Are Unbelievable

Teri's POV

"Layla please pass me the bowl." I called out to Layla again but she continued to completely ignore me.

We were all sitting in the living room watching countless movies and random videos. Mum was not at home. She had gone out to meet a friend.

Jace reached over to grab the bowl for me but Prilla snatched it from his hold and emptied the remaining popcorn into her mouth.

I felt like crying. My best friends were treating me badly and I hated it.

"Tell me, what it is?!" I exclaimed in frustration.

"You want us to tell you? Tell you huh? Maybe if you had told us from the beginning that-" Prilla slammed her hand over Layla's mouth. I looked at them in confusion.

"We need to talk!" Prilla said and pulled me up into my room.

"Now you guys tell me what the f word is wrong with you." I sighed.

"Why did you lie to us that your baby was Ethan's." Layla questioned.

"Hey keep your voice down." I hushed Layla.

"It's been 7 years Teri. Were you never going to tell us this?" Prilla questioned.

I was filled with guilt. "I thought there was no need to tell you since she's already dead."

"So Jace doesn't know?"

"Nope. Please don't breathe a word about this." I begged.

"We'll try." Layla replied.

"You!" Prilla pointed at Jessie. "You knew?"

"Uhhhh... Kinda." Jessie shrugged guiltily.

"She guessed and she put two and two together and found out." I said.

"So we're not smart? Thanks for the insult." Prilla said.

"I never said that." I made a baby face.

"Don't take this girl seriously." Layla said and they both giggled.

"So you're not mad at us?"

They shook their head no and we had a comforting group hug.

*****
You would not believe this but I was slowly recovering from whatever I was feeling due to the Ethan saga thanks to my friends and family. It was Friday and I was going to work. I was humming a song that had something to do with freedom.

"You're emitting so much beauty this early morning." Jace greeted me at the door. He was healing fast so he got his crutches earlier than scheduled and was practicing walking about in it.

"Thank you very much Mr. Carter." I smiled at him. My glow was probably more evident from how I had added a bit more of makeup and smiling.

"I see you're doing well with these sticks." I commended him.

"Yep thanks to my beautiful therapist here." He tucked a strand of braided hair to the back of my ear. Yes. Exactly something to take my mind off Ethan. We walked to his room, talking about anything.

I dropped my bag in his couch and sat beside him on the bed. "Since you're getting better, it means you can finally go back to work, and I'd not have to come here everyday for long hours anymore." Saying that myself made my heart ache. That means we'll be far apart from each other. Again.

"Maybe we don't have to be so distant from each other." Jace walked slowly to me, without the aid of the crutches.

"You mean?"