Chapter 31 - Guilt And Truth

Teri's POV

"Time of death, 5:59 am."

My legs felt weak and I collapsed onto the floor. I cried my eyes out. My head was hurting so badly and the aching pain I felt in my heart was too much.

For being just Chloe's adult friend, the pain was way too much. It felt like we were actually connected by something. Something that made her death hit differently. Of course it has made me remember losing my own child but this pain was worse than that.

Was it because we had grown much closer over the past few weeks? Or because she was Jace's daughter? Or because I have experienced this before and experiencing it again hurt?

But still, Chloe isn't my child yet I feel like my happiness has been ripped from me. Like a part of me was gone, yet to be buried.

I didn't understand the feeling and it left me confused and sad. I left Jace to be alone with his little angel and sat on the benches outside.

Jessie's call came through.

Hey I've been trying to call Jace but he's
not picking up are you with him?

Yeah
I tried to hold back the sobs.

At the hospital?

Yeah
I nodded. *sniff*

Are you crying? What's wrong?

I-It's over. It is all over
I didn't think I'd have the courage to tell anyone. I didn't want to accept it myself.

What's over Teri? Tell me

Chloe is gone
My tears broke loose and I began crying again.

O come on Teri. April is long gone. You know
you can't joke with death like that

I'm serious Jessie. Chloe is dead!
I screamed at her. How does she think I can joke like that.

No! Chloe can't die! She can't! I'm coming there
right now

I ended the call and buried my head in my palms. I wanted to question God with all the why's that came in mind but I knew I had not been faithful to him lately. Praying to him felt so wrong right now. The usual feeling of only going to him when I was in need came back but nevertheless, I put something together and poured my heart out to him.

"Father? Why? Why did it have to be Chloe. She's so young. She's not experienced enough in her life yet. She's not gone to high school, college. Become what she wants to do. She's not found her 'Jace' yet. She's only getting started. Not even near started she's just seven!"
My mind was drawn to what killed her. MALCYSTOVA.

"Father why was she born into that family. Why did she have to have Taiya as her mother. She needed someone who cared. Someone who would have gone in for check ups while she was still an infant for the sickness. Someone like me! Why didn't Chloe be my child? Why did she have to end up with Taiya and me with a dead child? Why were we allocated to the wrong people. You know I would have cared. Mum would have cared. Nana would have cared. Even Jace would have cared if he knew. Why should Chloe leave so soon?"

My why's were interrupted with Jessie, Connor, Mr and Mrs Carter and Taiya and her mum rushing in my direction.

"Where is she?," asked Mr. Carter.