Chapter 47 - A night time smoke

The morning light trickled in through the window, casting a soft glow upon the room as dawn greeted us. Our limbs were entwined from the night before. Cedric lay beside me, his head nestled against my shoulder, a peaceful expression gracing his features as he slumbered. A yawn escaped me as I slowly sat up, taking in the scene that greeted me—a tangle of sheets and scattered belongings.

I leaned back against the headboard, a heavy sigh escaping my lips. The weight of the impending challenge loomed large—less than forty-eight hours remained until we ventured into the maze.  The thought brought a surge of apprehension, yet at that moment, with Cedric beside me, the world outside our room seemed distant, almost irrelevant.

Cedric stirred, his eyes fluttering open to meet mine, a lazy smile dancing on his lips, "Good morning," he greeted, his voice husky with sleep.

Returning his smile, I leaned closer as he kissed me. His arm wrapped around me, his fingers tracing teasing patterns under my shirt, eliciting a soft laugh from me, "We probably should get going soon,"

As we stood before the mirror, our reflections revealed a tousled mess—our hair dishevelled, our appearances far from presentable. Cedric's infectious smile lit up the room as he laughed ruffling my hair, rendering it even messier.

I watched him move around the room, tidying up the scattered belongings. Cedric glanced up, a mischievous glint in his eye as he teased, "Oh, and by the way. I had fun last night."

The unexpected comment caught me off guard, and a blush crept up my cheeks, "I'm going to go shower! See you later, love."

"Hey! That's my thing," Cedric protested, a mock frown gracing his features as he crossed his arms.

"You're lucky you're pretty," I teased, lightly tapping his cheek before retreating to my room. 

"I'll take pretty," Cedric said from afar.

Entering my room, I found Megan standing there, her eyebrow arched inquisitively. "And where have you been?" she quizzed.

"With Cedric," I said slowly.

"What?" Megan leaned in, not catching my response. I repeated myself, and her eyes widened with surprise. "Are you two back together?

I took a deep breath, settled onto the edge of the bed, and began explaining the series of events leaving a few things out for her peace of mind.

Everything seemed fine until breakfast when an overwhelming surge of nerves threatened to undo me. The tranquil morning with Cedric felt like a distant dream as the weight of the impending challenge bore down on us. His typically serene expression was replaced by a mirrored unease. I mustered a smile for Cedric but it felt forced and insincere and came out wrong. He nodded in acknowledgement, turning his attention to his cereal.

 George's gaze met mine momentarily, and I hastily averted my eyes. I was trying to push it past my mind. 

The anxiety clawed at me, and the mere thought of taking another bite made my stomach churn. The twins and Megan did not push anymore. Edmund did though.

Rubbing my hands together nervously, I was about to excuse myself for training when Fred's voice halted me. "Wait," he interjected, his tone serious.

"Fred, what is it?" I asked my nerves on edge. 

"You're feeling alright?" Fred asked slowly.

I nodded and took off.

~

As Edmund and I engaged in our training, the room crackled with energy, resonating with the clashing of spells and the determined spirit driving us both. Our wands danced through the air, casting vibrant hues of magic that illuminated the space.