Forty Three: Crossing Roads

In night’s deepness, Selena lay awake with a fire burning in her chest while her veins were washed with overwhelming happiness. Beside her was the Stormwind, sleeping soundly. Her hand rested on top of his chest, feeling his heartbeat.

Selena was not able to remove what had happened earlier. Uncle Daniel showing up was indeed a massive shake-up not only for Nathaniel but for her too. She was going to carry Nathaniel’s pup and the firstborn would always be the strongest as Daniel explained it.

Though she was scared of messing up as a mother, Selena knew and felt her mate’s emotions. Nathaniel would not want his pup to be raised the same way as he was. And with that, along came the reassurance of love and family. A future so close and the only thing hindering it was her plans of revenge.

Guilt suddenly enraptured her chest as she gazed at her lover’s sleeping face. What a magnificent sight he was. Loving her so recklessly, Nathaniel had given his life for her and she couldn’t think of a better gift than giving him life too.

Before her parents’ murder, having pups of her own was something she often thought about. And now that she was older, that dream, of giving Nathaniel what he yearned and wanted so desperately yet never telling her was so close.

She had seen the look in his eyes whenever he played with pups and knew she could give him what he wanted but couldn’t.

“Moon…” Nathaniel murmured in his sleep.

Another pang of pain pierced through her and all she could do was blink away her tears.

“I love you, Nathaniel.” She whispered in a broken voice. “I love you.”

And as she lay next to him, admiring him, loving him, Selena no longer felt that words were enough and for her future to unravel, it was now the start of a new chapter in her fight.

She breathed in deeply and reached for her phone on the nightstand, bringing her cousin’s name to the screen, saved as “Sebby’s Father” in her contacts, Selena drafted a quick message.

~•°•~

“Father,” Andre softly spoke. “what will I do now? You’ve done the opposite of what I wanted you to do.”

Daniel’s lips stretched into a coy smile as he glanced at the glass of bourbon in his hands. He walks to his son, leaning against the stone railing. Their eyes connected and a silent exchange was quickly made, sealing the deal without one utterance.

“We do what we always do, my pup. We fight, protect, and reap the spoils of war.” Daniels emptied his glass with one swig. “It’s all we can do. For what are our wolves for if we don’t sway the outcome of our surly lives?”

“How can things be different now? Am I just to sit here and watch a wave of destruction wash over our family again, Father?”

Daniel pursed his lips and looked at the sky longingly, his eyes glazed with a quiet note of glee. For what that glee was, Andre failed to fathom. All he knew was his father was serious and this was not the bullshit mind games he loved playing on him.

“I did something, son.” Daniel clears his throat.

Andre looked at his father with furrowed brows.

“And?”

Daniel shook his head and smiled.
“Sorry, son. Can’t tell you yet.” He laughed, causing Andre to groan and huff. “Although, there is something I want to tell you or rather ask you.”

He nods.

“What?”

Daniel turns to face his son, looking deeply into his eyes.