Twenty: Rest

“This is not good for the treaties!”

A voice, loud and fuzzy, attacks Selena’s ears. She closed her eyes shut, unable to do anything other than listening around.

She remained in a confused state as her mind struggled to wrap itself around the whole situation.

“Now’s not the time to think of politics, Amber.”

“She bit off Aurora’s finger and swallowed it. I’ll tell you what to think about, Joey.”

“What happened in the rite was my responsibility and I did not approve of the use of weapons.”

What was everyone talking about? Though she could hear every voice clearly, Selena had lost her train of thought. To her, every word sounded like a discombobulated mess.

“Forgive me, Alpha and Luna Albrich, but my mate needs rest and she won’t find it here with you arguing right in front of her, please. I swear to you, I will help to fix this mess. Now, kindly lower your voice.”

A warm hand landed on Selena’s face, cupping her cheeks gently. The moment her skin felt its touch, her wolf almost purred. There was no doubt that it was her mate. She knew the creases of his hand so well, and the feeling of his warmth alone was enough to make her worries disappear.

“Forgive me, moon. I shouldn’t have left you alone.”

Nathaniel placed his face on her chest, closing his eyes shut while he listened to her heart. The strum of her breathing brought immense calmness to him, but at the same time, disdain.

If only he had acted sooner, or even thought of this possibility, then this wouldn’t have ever happened.

Feeling her mate’s anguish, Selena tried to move her body. She attempted to open her eyes or lift a finger, but with each try, she was greeted with the harsh truth of not being able to make a move.

“What will Talon think of this? Fuck, fuck, fuck.” Cursed the wolf who she could only think to be Amber.

The mention of her brother’s name caused Selena to hurl. What did he have to do anything with this?

She was not enthused about the idea of her brother getting involved with her own problems.

He would only end up making things worse for her.

She pushed herself, straining her pained limbs in the process while she involuntarily emptied everything in her stomach. Selena coated her clothes with chunks of vomit and blood.

“Quick!” Amber shrieked in a panicked voice. “Grab the pinky. We can still save it.”

Selena opened her eyes to see a relieved smile on Nathaniel’s face. Before she could say anything, Selena felt a humdrum of sleep, taking her in and completely devouring her.

Time passes while Selena recovered from her tired state. It was worse than any other pain in her body. Like she was trapped in her own body.

Only her wolf was able to make her feel relaxed.

The only thing is, with her wolf being the only one she could talk to, Selena was unsure if she could wholly trust it.