Fourteen: Love & Spies

Nathaniel watches Selena through the small glass window on the door in front of him.

Seeing her grin brightly as she held a pup high in the air made his heart perform a dozen Olympic laps, his stomach churning with happiness too hard to fathom.

It wasn’t often that he let himself go along the stream of delirious happiness. But when he did, he found himself smiling stupidly.

He turns away before she could spot him. What happened earlier in the day dawned on him. The anger in his mate’s eyes was calling to him, coaxing him to move closer to her, even though he was terrified completely.

No doubt that with him there, her wolf’s true nature was taking form.

But Nathaniel was unsure if Selena was aware of it happening, but he needed to explain it to her as soon as possible.

Right now wasn’t such a good time. Her reaction earlier said it all.

She was stressed.

And perhaps it was a mistake to follow Joseph’s advice to ‘test her improvement’, seeing as though she was already dreading the rite.

He groans and walked down the hall with a calm expression.

The wolves in pack Albrich still hated him. Their sour looks did not pass his eagle-eyed awareness.

In the corner of his eyes, a dark-haired wolf appeared, his beady eyes causing Nathaniel to roll his own.

Though it was like staring into Winston’s eyes, a wolf he trusted with his life, he knew this wolf was nothing but a shifty pile of goo.

Nathaniel towered over William, glaring at the wolf with hatred.

He wasn’t paranoid. His assumptions were spot on. William Hayward was untrustworthy.

And an untrustworthy wolf did not deserve to breathe the same air as Selena did.

William rattled his keys, cooking a storm of panic as Nathaniel moved closer to him while he unlocks his door.

If he wasn’t guilty of something, he would have that reaction.

The sinking despair in his gaze, enveloping the green of his irises. His faked smile faltered as he glanced from Nathaniel and the door. He cusses under his breath before finally opening the door.

He pushes the door open and closes it behind him, but before he could, Nathaniel wedged the tip of his brown leather shoe between the door and its frame.

“Nathaniel,” William spoke softly, carefully dragging his word.

“Hello, Will. Can I have a word with you?” He said.

Nathaniel spoke ominously, with a polite smile. Although for William, that had another meaning that didn’t need to be skimmed through for him to find out what.

“I’d like to say no, but I’m unsure of the repercussion of that.” The wolf laughs.

Nathaniel nodded.

“Don’t be absurd, wolf. I’m not going to do anything to you. I don’t even understand what repercussions you’re talking about.”

He did and there was.

William shook while forcing a lump down his throat.

“Does the Alpha and Luna know you’re harassing their wolves?”

“I’m not harassing you. I just want to talk about the fifty thousand dollars in cash hidden under your bed and the note that had my uncle’s scent on it.”