Seven: Leeway

Selena could hear her heart beating loudly like a drum as she held Nathaniel’s arm. He was smirking confidently as if he was boyishly proud of something. Of what, Selena didn’t know.

At the end of the table, she caught Joseph waving at them. Two empty chairs remained next to him and Amber, who seemed more irate than before.

Still, Nathaniel brought them to the Alpha’s side. To Amber’s credit, she restrained herself. She welcomed them with a friendly grin after she stood.

“You look great, Selena.”

Amber spoke through gritted teeth.

The Luna was trying to put on the atmosphere, at least it was a positive one.

“I do?” she flushed, nipping her lower lip.

“Of course, you do,” Nathaniel muttered, almost like he was reprimanding her. He nudged her gently into her chair, pushing her in. “Don’t question it, love.”

She nodded coyly. After all his politeness, hearing him sternly compliment her brought a fresh breeze through her.

“Dinner will lovely,” Joseph spared them a proud, thin-lipped grin. “My amazing wife and our kitchen aids prepared all of them. I’m blessed to say that I married a fantastic cook.”

The shower of compliments rendered the Luna red, though she kept her well-balanced stance and straightened her back. Watching Joseph and his wife had always made her question how the two of them worked so well.

Sometimes it left Selena scratching her head.

“Ah, you should have seen our wedding, Nathaniel. All the scrumptious dishes were made by Amber, too. It still astonishes me how she could plan and be part of a wedding while simultaneously planning the buffet.”

Nathaniel nodded.

“The Luna’s all-rounding capabilities sounds incredible.” He said.

Amber shrugged, snorting as she turns to him.

“Thank you. I hope you don’t mind the amount of meat on the menu. But then again, we are wolves.”

He shook his head no. Nathaniel’s hand traveled down and under the table. While Joseph had continued the conversation, mostly singing praises all about his wife, he snaked his hand lower and reached her thigh.

Selena pressed her legs together, surprised by the suddenness of his touch. Her eyes searched for his, only to see him seemingly engrossed with riveting tales about Amber.

He had successfully dragged her dress high up her leg. She freezes as his thumb drew circles on her skin.

“In my case, my absence was indeed very troublesome. I wasn’t there to see Selena walk to a podium and receive her diploma.”

Nathaniel glances towards her. She leaned into him and spoke;

“He was building a pack for his family in Texas. Having that responsibility is far greater than going to see me walk up a stage and get a piece of paper.” She retorts.

His face fell into a deep and disappointed scowl.

“It’s not just a piece of paper, moon.”

She smiled, trying to examine the edges of his face and understand why he was so persistent.

“You worked so hard to get your bachelor's and passing the board is difficult. I remember the feeling when you told me. I was so happy for you.”

Nathaniel squeezed her lightly. She had often thought of her achievements were far less than what a wolf like him shoulders. It was hard, yes. Though after it was over, she didn’t have enough time to mull over it.