Thirty-four: the Day

The day after her brother left, it was her turn to leave pack Highcliff. That was always planned.

Attend the wedding and get out.

Fortunately, it seemed like there was nothing stopping them. Every plan was tacked and jotted down by Nathaniel of course. His attention to detail was impressive but then again, what did she expect? Nathaniel had the uncanny ability to make everything perfect.

Selena grins as she loads her luggage into the back of Francis’ truck while she watches Nathaniel speak to Mr. and Mrs. Rosewood. They were laughing, patting his shoulder, and all around making friendly conversation that quickly made her heart flutter.

His natural charm and shy demeanor towards the couple were a fresh sight to see early in the morning too.

“Ah, my wolf. I really enjoy your company.” The elder exclaimed. “You’re not as horrible as many say. Though, I always knew how gentle you are. Saw it when you were playing with your niece in the park the other day.”

Nathaniel scratched the back of his head and laughed gingerly.

“I’m glad I made a good impression. You are good wolves. I am happy to think of you as friends. Thank you.”

“The pleasure is all ours, Stormwind.” Mrs. Rosewood spoke. The woman hands Nathaniel a book, smiling as she did so. “Here, have a copy of my cookbook. You’re a beginner cook and you should really stop attempting to make those fancy, deconstructed gobbledygook. Start with easier things and make sure Selena is well-fed.”

He nods graciously.

“I will.” He replied.

“Fair weathers, Stormwind.” The elder spoke, turning his gaze towards Selena and smiling. The very gesture caused her to turn red with glee. “You too, my wolf.”

Selena walks to her mate and reached for his hand. The spark coursing through their fingertips made her jolt. A feeling so quick and fleeting, but it remained longer in her heart as an unfathomable exhilaration.

He smiles at her.

“Trust me,” he says, turning to the wolves. “With me around, she’s always full.”

Selena winced and tried to not think too much of things, but it seems as though her worries were confirmed when the Rosewoods giggled at Nathaniel’s innocent phrasing.

“Well, we’ll not keep you any longer anymore. Take care, the both of you.” Elder Rosewood said and turned on his heels, taking his wife with him.

As the two headed off, Selena turns to Nathaniel and cupped his bottom, taking the liberty for a generous, playful, but warning grab. He whips his head towards her, giving Selena a raised brow.

“Handle them with care, please.” He chuckles.

“We really should talk about your conversational skills.” She said. “But then again, you weren’t lying.”

A confused look dawned on his face.

“About what? Me filling you up with food? Well, I’m hoping with Mrs. Rosewood’s recipes, I’ll be able to make dishes good enough for your palette.” He said.

“It’s not that I don’t appreciate your efforts, but I hope you understand I’ll eat anything as long as it’s clean and edible, right?”

His intense interest in cooking was something that made her wonder a lot. Though after losing the title of Alpha and the responsibilities that came with it, maybe it was a good thing he had found another passion.

It was a well-known fact that wolves get finicky when they had nothing to do. Selena pursed her lips and imagined what a finicky Nathaniel acted like.

“Why do you think I took up cooking? You refused my money for food, ate cup noodles, fish crackers, and drank soda. If I can’t convince you to eat properly, then I will rather be the one cooking for us.”