Twenty-six: Endless Moonlight

Selena masked her shock quickly with a smile. Seeing Lively and her family was not even in her mind. Especially when her mate was about to tell her something so important.

But everything has time and whatever the reason for his actions, that could wait.

“Brother,” Nathaniel greeted warmly. His eyes strayed towards Selena, sparing her a guilt-ridden glance before he walked towards his sibling. “I am so happy, but this is quite the surprise.”

Her feet threaded through the space between them and took Nathaniel’s side.

“Indeed, and a welcomed too.” She said.

Lively smirked, her green eyes melting Selena and turning her into a nervous puddle. What in the world was that look for?

“Are you sure? From the looks of it, we might have interrupted something.”

She gulped noisily. “We were discussing something, but we can just resume the conversation later.”

“Oh, if you say so.” Lively shrugged and turns to her daughter. “Look, Letty. It’s your ugly uncle, remember him?”

“Lively.” Winston thundered.

Though his clear warning only made his wife chuckle.

“Oh, relax. Letty’s already one goody little two shoes because of you. Besides, she’s been gushing over meeting her uncle, the one and only Stormwind.”

The pup tucked her head behind her father’s leg. An echo of laughter filled the entire room, all of it aimed toward the adorable little pup.

Nathaniel lowered himself, squatting slowly as he faced the frightened little girl. With her eyes, Selena witnessed the glimmer on his face. That sheer happiness of seeing a pup carrying his blood was a sight to behold.

“Don’t be shy, my sweet. Remember me?”

The pup nodded her head reluctantly, nervously fumbling with her fingers. With a kind and encouraging push, Winston sent his daughter walking nervously toward the Stormwind.

She lets out her arms wide. Nathaniel wasted no time and scoops the girl, embracing her tightly in his arms and planting a kiss on top of her head.

“Ah, I missed you so much, pup.” He says as he raised her up from the ground.

“Well,” Winston chuckled. “Her friends and the older kids back in the pack are always ragging on about how lucky she is to have you as her uncle. She might have a very good impression on you.”

His face immediately distorted into a heavy scowl.

“Oh, dear. I wasn’t prepared for this visit, so all the gifts I have planned on giving are all in storage. Uncle Gordon gave me mom’s dresses when she was Letty’s age. I bet you’ll look pretty in all of them, too. I also had our jeweler make you an emerald necklace.” Nathaniel excitedly explained.

“Nathaniel, please.” Winston shook his head disapprovingly.

The same movement of his brother’s head caused Nathaniel’s eyes to widen.