Thirty: Little Ones

Selena grumbled under her breath. Not only was she going to the wedding, she now had to break the news to Nathaniel. At least she was going to get something out of it. Still, it seemed like nothing was going to make her feel better about the whole situation.

It had been hours since she accepted Rosewood’s condition and confronted Lively and she had been busy. She couldn’t just come home without an offering for her mate.

Now she stood in front of the house they were staying in, with bags hanging off from both of her hands and her mind askew on what to say and how to say it.

“For the love of the Moon.” She cursed under her breath.

Just before she took a step to the house, her phone dinged, causing her to pause in her tracks. The ringtone made her heart skip a beat, knowing it was her mate that sent her a message.

She fished her phone out and read the message.

‘?’ Nathaniel’s message simply read and then followed by a picture of her standing in the dimly lit pathway.

Her eyes widened as she whipped her head up, seeing him through the window with a huge grin on his face. He cocks his head to the side, signaling her to come in.

Selena bit her lip and braced herself as she entered the house. Right at the start, she noticed the furniture had been moved around; the kitchen was covered with plates of food tarped with plastic wrap, and the house was suspiciously silent.

All she could hear was Nathaniel humming a song she was most familiar with, her father’s lullaby, echoing from their room and down the halls and stairs.

Her worries dissipated and her fingers electrified. She moved up the stairs and entered their room. She didn’t know why, but her body move on auto-pilot, following her heart’s will.

She found herself standing in the doorway, perplexed but also feeling warm at the sight taking over her brain. Nathaniel laid a three-piece tweed suit colored brown, accompanied by a creme dress shirt.

He was sitting on the floor next to the bed, his leather shoe in one hand while the other was a cloth dabbed in shoe polish.

“Good evening.” She breathlessly spoke. “You look busy.”

He snorts.

“Just preoccupied.” He replies. “On the other hand, you look like you’ve been busy.”

He gestures to the bags in her hands, making her jolt and hiding them behind her back.

“Oh… I didn’t have anything to wear for-”

Nathaniel stood, dusting himself, and spoke.

“Kayla’s wedding?” He bluntly asked. “You could have told me. I arranged for someone to fetch me my suits and a few dresses for you.”

He walks to her and planted a kiss on her lips before going to the closet and opening it. Stunned, Selena only stood still and said nothing. She was unable to formulate the right words upon seeing the dresses hanging inside the closet. To say it was just a ‘few’ was completely an understatement.

But also, it was news to her that Nathaniel had a wolf on his payroll to fetch things for him like a servant.

She watches as his meticulous fingers picked through the dresses, his keen gaze inspecting each one of them like a hawk. Finally, he chose a burgundy satin dress and showed it to her.

“I have little to know about women’s fashion, but I did my due diligence and looked for wedding etiquette regarding women’s dresses. I’ve also gone ahead and purchased accessories that you may want to wear.”