Nineteen: The Curse

“Nate?” Joseph called worriedly. “What’s wrong, wolf?”

Nathaniel snapped out of his daze and smiled at the wolf. “Sorry, I’m just worried about my mate.”

“Selena’s as stubborn as a mule. I mean no offense to your mate, but she is perilously stubborn.” The Alpha shrugged.

Nathaniel smiled lightly. He was yet to discover parts of his mate. The thought alone made me feel delighted and happy with the different prospects they could share.

“I like her too. She likes to give me sweets, and she’s not as loud as Claire at night.” The boy suddenly spoke.

He stiffened, holding back a chuckle. Joseph and James were all red-faced, the sheer innocence in of the boy’s words was a freshness he was not expecting.

One glance at the female wolf and she looked as if she wanted to melt.

“May I ask Claire, why is it you’re teaching the boy how to hunt?” Joseph turned to the wolf, asking a question to clear the frigid air. “Shouldn’t that be the Beta’s job?”

The wolf grimaced. “I told him that too, Alpha, but the boy wanted to tag along.”

“Well, too bad. You’re going to learn how to patrol the border today.” Joseph says, messing with the boy’s brilliant dark hair.

“How about you, Stormwind, do you have something to teach me?” Oliver looked up at him earnestly.

“For starters, I could teach you to not wander off somewhere without telling your mom and dad.”

Nathaniel took his eyes to the two wolves behind him. Both of them were eagerly avoiding his gaze, making it even more suspicious.

“I’m all good. Mom always knows where I am. She tracks my phone.”

An audio sigh reached Nathaniel’s ears. It was from the wolf who had slapped him his day back in pack Albrich.

The woman looked thoroughly distressed, as if a massive blunder had just occurred.

Nathaniel stopped, squaring his jaw as he faced her.

“You, wolf.” He said in a low, calm voice.

“Stormwind?” She gulped.

Her lips had suddenly become shaky. Obviously not a good sign for someone who acts so innocently.

“Would it be too callous of me to ask what’s troubling you?”

Her eyes immediately averted to the man, her mate, a conversation happening between them through their silent gazes. A few moments more and she shuddered, closing her eyes as breathed heavily.

“We’re helping Selena for the rite.” She responded.

Perplexed, he brought his brows together. As his mouth moved to form words, an explosion took his attention.

Whatever it was, it wasn’t that far away. What was more concerning is it was in the pack borders.

“Shit,” James muttered under his breath. “Selena…”

Nathaniel’s eyes turned wide, his heart suddenly exploding like a bomb. With no other thought, his feet moved towards the loud bang.

In his mind, all he could think of was his mate. He tried to stop himself from thinking of the worst, but he couldn’t.

His mind was a feast of terrible, horrible scenarios. All of it making him more anxious as time ticked away.

He was tempted to shift as the more he ran, the closer he was to Selena and he could hear her gasps and grunts, the sound of a brewing struggle not passing through his ears.