Chapter 21: Love?

*Heath's pov. *

I was extremely worried about Mika, for the past fifteen minutes I'd been driving she hadn't muttered a single word, she hadn't moved her gaze from the exact same spot on the window. Not even her face had moved. She was so still, so incredibly quiet.

Not to even mention the text from her father.

I can't even talk to your mother. All your fault.

I had not a clue what this meant, all I knew was her dad didn't seem to be in a good state.

Even knowing that Jonas was a drug dealer, that he was asking about Mika's fathers' financial condition. I could tell you what that meant with my mouth zipped shut. I just wanted to know that Mika knew what it meant.

I wanted to protect her.

Her still not having said a word worried me, maybe even more then the large gash on her cheek did.

With everything that had happened, I understood why she needed the quiet, her brain needed to process and categories everything that had happened.

Jonas had always been a rough guy; anyone could realise that.

My eyebrows furrow deeper when I hear the soft sniffle coming from left side of the car.

"Love?"

Fucking dickhead.

I mentally scold myself for saying that again. For like the third time, not that anyone's counting.

This would all pass, I would help her, then we wouldn't have to talk again. I was only being caring because the situation involved my friends.

For the first time since she got into the car, she moves her gaze to meet mine, lips quivering, silent tears on her face.

Spinning the steering wheel, I pull off the street and onto the side of the road, parking.

I open the door to the drivers' side of the car, stepping out and walking over to the passengers side.

"Mika?" I whisper as I open the door.

"Hm?" She hums, as if to ask what I'm doing.

"Tell me what you're thinking. Exactly what you're thinking." My hands move forward, I place them gently on the sides of her stomach, lifting her out of the car.

Not wanting to have her faint, I shut the car door and continue holding her up slightly. Though I do softly place her against the car door, giving her options to lean on if she didn't want to be near me.

"You want to tell me what's going on in that mind of yours, hm?"

"I'm just...A little worried." She clears her throat, sniffling again.

"A little worried? Just a little?" She gives me yet another single nod. "Tell me about it, what's got you so worried you're crying about it, love?"

I did it. A-fucking-gain.

She glances at the ground. I follow her gaze, then move my hand forward and lift her chin.

"I'm worried about my dad..." She whispers. This wasn't the Mika I was used to. Yes, she was normally quiet, reserved but this was a whole another level.

"What's got you so worried about him?" I ask, attempting to turn my voice soft even though the rasp still comes through. My brain fights itself as I try to decide if I should bring up the text message. "Was it to do with the message?"

"Maybe." She mumbles.

"Come on, Mika. Give me something more, please. Tell me what's going on."

She crumbles. Crumbles like a cookie, folds like a piece of paper, collapses into my arms.

A sharp breath fills my lungs, I was trying to move past this. She was making it extremely hard to do.

"Love?" My arms move around her waist, pulling her closer. I feel her head rest on my chest. I feel the way her tears wet my shirt. I feel the sobs echoing from her chest. My neck cranes down and I rest my chin on the crown of her head.

"I d-don't want to talk about it. Not yet." This time she doesn't whisper, her voice is strong, almost like she was trying to make me sure of her answer. Her voice still cracks slightly.

"Okay, okay. I just want to help, just want to make it all better." I mummer against her hair, my hand rubbing up and down on her back. "Do you want to go yet? I really think we should get your wound cleaned. You wouldn't want an infection, would you?"

She nods, then sighs, then breathes. "Why are you being so nice? Why do you seem like you care? Why did you come and find me?"

All the questions are making me think, why did I care? Why was I being nice? And most of all, why did I feel so anxious about her when she was gone? Why did I feel the biggest need to find her?

"I'm not to sure of that myself, love...I think you may be warming up to me." I offer her a teasing smile and my hand, gently lifting her off my chest and leading her back into the car.

I sit her down before moving around the car and sitting in the driver's side once again.

This time was different, she didn't stare out the window with a blank face. No. She stared at me with a gently smile, her lips, her eyes swollen from the crying.

I pull back out onto the road. The drive from here to my house was short, super short. As the house comes into view I hear her whisper quietly, so quietly.

"I think I'm warming up to you too, Heath."

Author's noteee

I'm giggling right now; I think this is so cute.

The real question is, do we think that Heath has decided on a nickname?

A double update today as a sorry for making you guys wait over a week for another update.

I'm also sad because I think this book is coming to an end, I still have a few things I need to bring together and I have to do an ending. But don't y'all worry because I have sequels planned, it might just take a couple months until I get to starting it.

I LOVE YOU.

WORD COUNT: 1033