Chapter 16: Suddenly I felt lips on mine.

*Mika's pov. *

I barely sleep last night nor the night before that...or the one before that. Just small amounts that came in waves.

My brain is one big cloud of fuzz. I can't think right. My thoughts feel like they need to escape but I refuse to let them go.

I rarely left my bedroom over the weekend. Only when I needed food did I leave.

Standing from laying on my bed I wonder over to the bathroom, rubbing my eyes and glancing in the mirror. Taking a closer look there was a single, small bruise on the side of my forehead from when I fell to the floor. My eyes were also quite red from the lack of sleep.

So, I do the only smart thing. Cover it. I pick up my concealer, that I likely got from a drugstore when I turned thirteen, and place some on the light purple bruise, not forgetting to also put some on my under-eyes.

Once I've blended that out, I go back to my bedroom, eyeing my closet. With a small grumble I walk over to it, picking a pair of sweatpants and a tank top. Though I make sure that it tucks into my sweats, I wouldn't want someone to see the dark coloured bruise settling on my lower stomach.

I then pick up my bag, grab a random snack from the kitchen and rush out of the house.

~Time skip. ~

I toss my bag into my locker when a figure pops up behind me. I'd expected Lilah or Ezra. But, no, it was Heath.

Turing around I face him, then I glance up, looking at his face. He was mad.

And I wasn't in the mood to put up with him, so I shut my locker and begin walking.

He follows.

"Mika." The tone of his voice confused me. Then again, when did this man not confuse me. "Why didn't you reply to the text I sent you Saturday morning? I thought you were dead. For fucks sake."

I place my fingers to my forehead. "Look, I'm sorry. I- uh, I was busy."

He lets out a humourless chuckle. "To busy to show up for work? God, Mika. Mariana isn't happy with you." He huffs out a breath. "She thinks it's my fault that you didn't come to work."

My movements pause. "Like I said, I was busy. I'm sorry, something important came up. I'll come around to the store after school and tell her, okay?"

I direct my gaze to the ground, thinking. I had likely just ruined the only thing that could save my relationship with the only family member I had left. My foot taps on the ground as I wait impatiently for his response.

"Fine. But don't expect her to not fire you or ask for some money compensation. She had to keep the store closed because we didn't have enough staff." He brushes past me and off down the hall.

I had assumed that he was going to chemistry but when I get to the classroom, He's not there.

Today was presentation day.

Anxiously I walk over to my seat and stare up the front of the classroom as Mr Mason lists off all the students in our class that would be presenting.

Much to my distain, Heath and I were on that list. Sitting unhappily at the top.

Either he would come through that door right now and I would be the happiest I'd ever been to see him, or I'd have to present by myself. That wouldn't even be the worst part though. I would have to improvise most of it because he has all the notes.

Mr Mason is staring at me, waiting for me to make a move towards the front of the classroom. I stay put, frozen.

"Mika? I know Heath isn't here, but you need to get the presentation finished today." He speaks.

I still stay silent, unspeaking, anxious. Everything in my body is telling me I can do it except my brain. It whispers at me tauntingly. And I don't even realise what I am doing until I'm.

Eyes are in my as I stand in front of the class without anything to visually show. No poster, no diagram, just me.

My fingers tap against one another anxiously.

"I- um" My throat bobs as I gulp, then glance down. "Uh..." I turn my head to look at Mr Mason. He gives me a nod of encouragement, so I look back to the class.

Without even realising my feet are pushing me out of the classroom at a fast pace and I'm rushing down the halls.

The pain in my ribs strong but the fight or flight senses clashing with the awfully big amount of adrenaline is stronger.

My breathing turns ragged, so I stop to try and even it out. Instead, my arm gats grabbed, and I'm pulled into a janitor's closet.

The smell of nicotine and smoke fills my nose. I take a distressed glance up to be met with Heaths worried gaze. "Were you smoking? I was stressing about the presentation and you're just casually smoking in the janitor's closet!" I whisper yell trying to catch onto my distressed breaths.

"Shh! Take a damn breath and calm yourself!" He says back in the same tone as mine.

"No! I won't take a breath. You left me to stress about the project. I had no notes! What if we got a low mark because I didn't know what to say!" I yell back, this time not bothering to turn it to a whisper.

"I was just going to be late by five fucking minutes. I didn't know we'd be first up. Calm down!" Now we were both yelling then suddenly I can't breathe.

"Shit." He whispers before placing his hands on my shoulders.

In my daze of panic, I attempt to wheeze in a breath but fail.

"I... can't... breathe." Small, short, and rapid breaths were the only thing entering my lungs and I could only hear words that didn't make sense coming out of Heaths mouth.

"Come on, Mika. Just do it. Just breathe. I fucking knew this would happen. Come on." He speaks in such a tone that I can almost make out the worry.

Tears spring in my eyes as I try to take in a breath and fail. Gasps leaving my mouth in attempt to get air. I felt like I was drowning without being underwater.

Suddenly I felt lips on mine.

Heaths lips.

Authors noteee.

DUN DUN DUNNNN.

Okay, first of all, I want to say that I'm not romanticising panic attacks. There are absolutely the worst. I also don't want to be the typical author saying that I'm spreading awareness, because I think a lot of people know what a panic attack is. I've had this planned for a while and it is part of the storyline with Mika's past, so I felt that it was only realistic if I gave her a few scenes with them.

I've experienced them so I do know what they feel like, I'm just not to good at putting feelings into words to if it's a little cringey or unrealistic please forgive me. :')

ANYWAY, onto something a little nicer. They kissed. :0 I was going to delay it a little longer, but I thought this would be the perfect moment.

How was everyone's day?

Love you all!!

WORD COUNT: 1249.