Chapter eight:Mika?

*Heath's pov. *

I let out a low groan when I hear a knock on the door. My parents had already gone to bed, so I decide to go and answer it.

Slowly I stand up and walk downstairs, what I find at the door shocks me.

"Mika?"

~Rewind~ *Mika's pov. *

I step into the house, my body shaking with anxiety.

The first thing I notice is Dad's coat laying on the floor. I then walk into the kitchen to put the spaghetti that Marianna gave me, only to find Dad slouching over the counter with an empty vodka bottle in his hand.

I walk over to the fridge with soft, small steps in attempts to not disrupt him.

Carefully I open the fridge and place the container of food in there, only to hear movement behind me.

I turn around slowly to find him behind me.

"Dad?"

"Shut up!" He yells.

"But Dad, I need to tell you-" He grips my shoulder.

"I said, shut. Up! Now, we need to talk about this job situation. Hm? Got something to say?" I shake my head.

"Good. Guess who called me today? Sandie. You know what she asked? She asked me why you wanted to pick up more hours." He grips my shoulders harder. "I swear if you told her about me losing my job! I thought that we had worked out that you're going to have to pick up more hours? You know we need the money. Find another job somewhere in town to pay for us to live."

I feel a sharp hit to my cheek.

Small sob falls from my lips.

"Don't cry! I can hit you harder than that." Another slap, this time harder. Then, another to the other cheek.

With that he storms out of the room. Not out of the house. Out of the room.

My body slowly turns around, my eyes watering. I pick up the container of spaghetti and place it in the fridge.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to be in the same house as him, I know that for a fact.

My brain rushes over all the people I know and the person it lands on is Heath.

Heath.

Before I can change my mind, I have run out of the house with tears dripping from my eyes.

~Fast-forward. ~

"Mika?" His voice is very quiet, the quietest I've heard him.

I wipe my face slightly trying to look more put together.

"Um, could I stay here tonight?" I direct my eyes to the ground.

"Why? What happened? Mika?" I stay silent, I could say something, but I don't want to.

I keep telling myself that these hits are a one-off thing, but deep down I know that it will happen again.

What did I do? I mean, he hasn't always been the happiest person, that's expected though. His wife died. My Mum died.

My brain begins to cloud with thoughts.

"I'll leave. I wouldn't want to be a nuisance." I shift on my feet before turning on them. Just when I'm about to step forward a hand wraps around my wrist.

"Mika, what happened?" He turns my body to face his. "Tell me. I could help."

I continue to look at the ground.

"Don't tell me then." He grumbles. "You're staying here though. Come in."

He steps away from the door frame, and I follow his indication and walk into the home. He then guides my up the stairs, his hand on the small of my back.

When we get up the stairs he shows me to a room, I assume it's' a guest room. It looks like one. It mostly consists of the colour black, black bedsheets, though the walls are white, a dresser in the corner.

"You can stay in here." He pauses for a moment then continues, "I won't make you tell me what happened, but if you don't then you'll have to be out of the house by early tomorrow morning, yeah?"

I nod. "Okay, got it." I attempt to smile.

For a moment he watches me, then he takes a deep breath and walks off.

I make my way further into the room and look at myself in a small mirror on the wall, I don't necessarily look like I've been crying, but I definitely don't look okay. My face is slightly red from the slaps, but any person could mistake that for crying.

I refuse to tell Heath about what happened. There's no point, like he said, we're not friends.

My hands rise to my face, and I run them over it.

What am I supposed to do now?

With a deep breath I make my way over to the bed and lay down. My eyes fall shut as I try to fall asleep. Fun fact, its hard to fall asleep in jeans and an uncomfortable shirt.

Soon enough, my brain shuts off, and I fall asleep.

~Time skip~ *Heaths pov. *

I can't sleep.

A low groan leaves my throat as I roll over to look at the clock. I hate not sleeping in my own room, well, technically I'm not sleeping, I'm just in this room.

The clock reads, 5:22.

My mind rushes back to Mika. I need to wake her up and get her out of the housel before my parents get up for work.

My Mum had to assume I'd turn her into one of my one-nightstands. I wouldn't do that. I hate her.

I stand up from the bed and begin walking to my room, I open the door to find her asleep on my bed, on top of the sheets though.

I slowly walk over to her and gently shake her shoulder.

How on earth are you meant to wake people up?

Her body shifts slightly before she sits up. The first thing I notice is her red cheeks. Hm.

"Mika? You need to get up. I can't have my parents knowing you're here."

She gives me a small nod. "Of course." Her voice comes out small as she stands up. "Thank you."

My eyebrows furrow. "For what?"

"For letting me stay." She whispers. "I know we aren't friends, but that was very kind."

I grit my teeth slightly. Kind. She thinks that was kind. I'm not supposed to be kind.

"Whatever. Let's get you out of here." I begin walking out of the room in hopes she'd follow after me. She does just that.

I let out a sigh of relief when I hear my dads snore. I don't think I've ever been so happy to hear it.

We get to the bottom of the stairs.

"Okay, here's a rule. We don't speak of last night. I never let you stay over, got it?" She nods. I want her to fucking talk.

"Got it."

With that I open the front door and like she can read my mind she steps out.

"Thank you again, Heath."

"No problem." I grumble.

She begins walking away, I watch until she gets to the end of the driveway then I shut the door.

I lean against it a small smile hinting at my lips.

Kind. she called me kind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors noteee

Fun fact. I got to the end of this chapter last night... then deleted it all :( So I had to re write it all, anyway, How is everyone today?

I hope you guys are well :)

WORD COUNT: 1189