Chapter 20: It clicks.

*Mika's pov. *

Hearing someone walk in, I wake up from my unconscious state.

A gasp that was anything but small left my lips. Heath was standing in front of the door, staring at the man.

It was like the movies, the books. It was a triangle, Heath staring at the man, me staring at Heath, the man staring at me.

What on earth was going on. If it hadn't been for the restraints holding me to the chair, I would've fallen out of it, face planted out of it.

"Heath?" I breathe the words.

"Jonas?" Heath says in the exact same way I had.

"Heath?" The man—I was assuming to be Jonas—said.

Blinking at everyone, shifting as much as I could in the seat I was attached to.

"Heath?" I repeat. "Do you know this person?"

Now it's his turn to blink. "I- of course not..."

I don't believe a word he says, not with the way his body language represents it. The way his adams apple bops. The way he moves on his feet. The way he stares at the both of us with so much emotion behind his eyes.

"Right. That's it." He grumbles, the emotion that was previously in his eyes long gone. "I'm here to take Mika. I'm not doing this fighting shit, Jonas. We both know what will happen. It's happened before."

Another gasp leaves my lips, this one is soft, gentle. He wasn't even trying to hide the fact he was lying; he knew his damn name.

"Take her." Jonas throws his hands in the air before pressing his fingers to the bridge of his nose. "I genuinely couldn't care less. I got the information I needed."

My frown, that was already so deep it was causing my entire face to wrinkle, only got deeper.

Why did he need to kidnap me only to get information about my dad? Why did he need the information about my dad? Most of all: What would he do with this information?

"Great, get out. Now don't even think to go near her again. I swear to God."

He stalks over to me, tensing his shoulders as he turns his back to this Jonas guy.

His hands briefly touch mine as he unwraps the rope. His mouth next to my ear, he breathes, his breath tickling the skin of my earlobe. "I'm so sorry, Mika... So very sorry." His voice is a whisper.

He places his hands under my arms, lifting me from the chair like nothing.

I let out a faint hum, trying to think of a response to what he'd said.

He continues holding my back to his stomach as he holds me up, only enough for me to not be putting all my weight through my feet though. No full lifting. I was thankful for that. I wanted to be even a little independent in this vulnerable situation.

Contrary to what you may think, not scared, not hurting, not even anxious, not like I was about to cry. None of that. Blank. Like I could stare at a wall for hours and still have thoughts to process.

"It's not your fault. None of the questions were about you. It had nothing to do with you." I mumble, now no emotion in my voice. It felt almost like I had just hit a switch in my brain. It felt so sudden.

He continues to guide me to his car, staying behind me so I could lean on him. "What were they about then, hm?" He whispers again, his neck craned down to whisper in my ear.

"My father." I mumble back, not even thinking about the consequences. Not thinking to protect him. If it was anything to do with what I'd suspected then it was his fault I'd been taken, it was his fault I had gotten hurt.

"What about your father, love?"

Now my lips had parted slightly. I blinked. "His financial situation."

Something in my brain just clicks.

Drugs. He said something about drugs and my dad's finances. Had he not been paying? Was that it? What would he do if my father hadn't paid?

Then my brain flicks that switch back again and I'm bombed with an overwhelming amount of emotion, pain. So much pain.

"What about his financial situation?"

I stay silent, after my large amount of realisation I don't want to incriminate my dad any further. What if that man wanted to kill him?

Heath stops for a brief moment. Sighs. "Okay... let's just get you to the hospital, yeah?"

"No, can you take me home, please. I just want to go home." I whisper as he begins walking again, finally arriving at the car.

"But you need to get your wounds tended to." Opening the car door, he helps me into the passenger seat.

"Please." I repeat.

He sighs a deep sigh before walking around to the driver's side and getting in, starting the car. "Fine, but you need someone to tend to your wounds. You have a first aid kit at your house, hm?"

I nod, one single nod. Not giving anything else. He starts driving, pulling out onto the road.

I was stuck in my own head, my thoughts so deep I couldn't even offer anything more. My father had betrayed me and yet I was still defending him.

The only thing that breaks me from my thoughts is the feeling, and sound, of my phone buzzing in my pocket. I still had it with me. Heath found me through it.

Digging my hand into my pocket, I pull out my phone, reading over the text.

Dad: Where are you? I've been waiting for you at home for over a day. I need to talk to you since I can't talk to your mother anymore. All your fault.

Now I felt even worse. Like I could vomit.

"On second thought, could we go to your house...? Please." My lip quivers as I speak, I knew he'd leaned over and read my text. I knew he knew now.

"Of course."

Much to my surprise he hadn't brought up the text. I knew it would be coming soon though. It had to.

He takes a different turn and so I know he's going to his house, not mine.

My gaze moves out of the window, my thoughts re-consuming me.

Author's noteee.

What are we thinking about Heath 'knowing' Jonas?

Anywho, I was giggling like an idiot when Heath called her love. Totally not like I was the one who decided for him to do that.

If you've followed my announcements, you may know that I've got my next book idea planned. I will say this much, it's very different from this one BUT we will be getting a sequel to Heath and Mika because this is my first book, they hold a very special place in my heart. I think you'll like it though if you like enemies to lovers. ;)

AS ALWAYS: LOVE YOU GUYS TO DEATH.

WORD COUNT: 1176.