65. "Me nearly dying came to be of use after all."

(3037 words)

*Blayze's POV*

I returned to the waiting room a while later. Mihrimah kept collapsing, and a team of doctors was doing everything possible to treat her. We spent the night with zero sleep in the waiting room. At around 6 am, a doctor showed up, telling us they had operated her, but she needed to be kept in the ICU for a while as her vitals wouldn't stabilise. Unfortunately, none of us were allowed to even see a glimpse of her.

We sat in silence, watching the hours go by painfully slow. Until finally, the doctor came bearing good news. She was fine. Her vitals were stable. She wasn't collapsing anymore. She had even opened her eyes. She had been shifted to a private room. Of course, her parents were allowed to see her straight away. It was their right anyway.

I was dying to see her. I just needed a glimpse. A reassurance that she really was doing okay. That nothing would happen to her again. I wondered if I would get to see her at all.

About half an hour later, both her parents walked out. "Is she okay?" I asked them eagerly.

"Yes, she's doing okay," Mr. Woods replied. "Thank you again, Blayze. If she had been brought to the hospital any later, or hadn't received the blood, she wouldn't have..." he left the sentence hanging.

"Don't say that, Mr. Woods. I'm glad she's fine now. That's all that matters." I said, earning a pat on my shoulder from him.

I cleared my throat. "Can I... is it okay if I see her?" I asked nervously.

"Yes, you can see her." Mrs. Woods replied. I smiled at her in gratitude.

My heart was pounding in my chest as I walked up to the room she was in. I knocked before stepping inside. I felt a pang of hurt when I saw her laying on the bed like that with an IV attached to her.

Her beautiful, light brown eyes met mine as she silently watched me walk up to her bed. I sat on the chair next to her bed, holding her gaze. I hadn't even thought of what I would say. I owed her more than just an apology. Be it for whatever reason, I hurt her horribly.

"I'm sorry." My voice came out as a vulnerable whisper.

She stayed quiet for a minute too long. I anxiously waited for her to speak, the agony nearly killing me. My heartbeat was loud and erratic. My hands were shaking. My breathing was a mess. Was she mad at me? Was she never going to speak to me again? Did I really destroy everything?

Her eyebrows scrunched up, her head tilting to the side as she carefully eyed me. Say something.

"Who are you?" She finally uttered.

My jaw dropped in shock at the sound of her words. I blinked, before gaping at her. What did she mean by that?

"What do you mean? It's me." I said gently, gazing at her with desperation in my eyes.

She frowned confusedly. "Who? Have we met before?"

My heart sank, threatening to stop. My shaking hands suddenly froze along with the rest of my body, a chill of fear running down my spine. No no no. She can not forget me. This can not be true.

"Mihrimah, it's me! Blayze!" My voice raised anxiously.

She still looked confused. "I'm sorry. I have no idea who you are."

Words can not describe the heartache and desperation I felt in that moment. I was on the verge of breaking down and kneeling before her to beg for her to remember me. "I'm Blayze. How about giant toasted marshmallow? Do you recall that?"