38. "Awww is the big, bad devil obsessed with me?"

(2207 words)

My feet glued themselves onto the ground. The main door remained open, serving as a sign for lurking danger. Even my mouth wouldn't move; my vocal cords wouldn't cooperate. I wanted to scream and call for Blayze. I wanted to run upstairs to him.

Approaching footsteps from behind further stiffened me in place. It was him. Ezra. He was here again.

In a swift motion, I whipped around to face the intruder. A scream left my mouth as I did.

"Who are you?!" I exclaimed.

"Who are you?" The intruder asked.

"Mihrimah?" The sound of Blayze's voice as he came running down the stairs caused relief to wash over me. "Are you okay? What's going on?" He gushed, grabbing me and pulling me to him.

"Who— who's this?" I panted, referring to the woman that stood before me.

"Wait, is that why you screamed? Lyla is one of my house help." He said.

I blinked my eyes, processing his words, my tense body relaxing against Blayze's.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Colton. I didn't know you had a guest over." Lyla said.

"It's okay, Lyla. You can go do your work." Said Blayze.

"I'm sorry... I saw the main door open and freaked out." I felt embarrassed for overreacting.

"Lyla, you've never forgotten to lock the door before." Blayze frowned.

"But I did lock the door, Mr. Colton." She said.

Blayze sighed deeply. "Don't forget next time."

"But I swear, I locked it." She said.

A chill crawled down my spine. She seemed to be a hundred percent certain that she had locked the door. What if she truly had? What if someone had broken in again?

"Okay, Lyla. Please do your work now." Blayze sounded impatient.

"Okay." She mumbled, walking away to the kitchen.

Blayze kept his arm around me as he walked me back upstairs. He plopped onto his bed, sighing, his arm retreating from around my waist. I wanted to talk to him about how someone may have gotten into his house, but felt as if it was futile.

Instead, I collapsed onto his chair, opposite to him, massaging my forehead. "Shall I take you home?" Blayze asked after a few minutes of none of us speaking.

"Bored of me already?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. I had become a little too used to his presence, and didn't feel like leaving.

Clingy much?

He snorted, smiling. "Mihrimah, if you decide to move in, I'd be ecstatic."

He was being too cute, too nice, too likeable. He was making my heart skip beats, and my stomach feel butterflies.

He was also making me see stars. Literally.

"That might be disastrous," I said, rising from his chair. "You're right. I should go."

"I didn't mean it like that. Just thought your parents might be curious about you staying out."

"Yeah, I know. I should get going. I don't want my mom getting suspicious." I said, going to look for my dress.

"Are you going to tell her what we did?" He called from behind, his voice teasing.

"If you want your limbs to stay in place and unbroken, I really shouldn't tell her anything." I said, returning with my dress and purse.