3. "This is an office, Miss Woods, not a concert."

(1170 words)

Blayze dismissed me from his office before I had the chance to talk back. The lady from the day before, Mia Sanders, showed me to my work space, right next to Blayze's office. It was a decent-sized room with a white desk in the centre, a MacBook on top and of course, an intercom which was mainly there so Blayze Colton could bark orders at me.

I was utterly furious at him. The guy had no basic manners at all. Talking to someone with at least a little consideration wouldn't kill him. Jerk-face thought he owned the universe or something just because he was affluent and influential. Who the hell even gets mad at someone for being freaking two minutes late only?!

I wasn't some ordinary person either. I was the Ethan Woods' daughter; who the hell did he think he was disrespecting?

Yeah, you are Ethan Woods' daughter, honey, but here you're only Blayze's assistant. And I recall you not wanting special treatment simply because you were a successful billionaire's daughter?

I then felt stupid. Maybe mom had been right all along. I had a degree in software engineering, numerous certificates, awards and medals in academics and co-curricular activities, and there I was, serving as a dickhead's assistant, and for what? Just because I had dreamed of working at Colton Enterprises?

Maybe they should give you a medal in stupidity as well.

"You are listening to me, right?" Mia said, scowling slightly at me. Yeah, with one ear only though.

"Yes." I gave her a forced closed-mouth smile to which she showed no emotion at all. I fought the urge to roll my eyes. Is being emotionless a criterion for working here? If so, what the hell am I doing here?

Being a dickhead's assistant, you silly little woman.

"For now, go through these files and at the end, write a summarised report. Email that to Mr. Colton once you're done. But please, make sure you don't take more than two hours." She said, placing a pile of files onto my desk.

Go through all these in just two hours? Excellent. Wonderful start to my day.

You can do this, Mihrimah. What challenge haven't you overcome?

"Okay." I replied briefly.

"Also, Mr. Colton drinks an espresso every morning. I took care of it for today, but moving forth it'll be your job to bring him his coffee as soon as you step foot into the office."

Ah, the classic job of getting your boss coffee. Very nice.

"Sure." I responded.

"Get started on those files and stay vigilant. Answer the intercom immediately; Mr. Colton hates waiting."

I nodded my head at her quietly. She watched me for a brief second before turning on her heels and leaving the room, closing the door behind her. I sighed and at once opened file number one, reading through its contents.

I spent the two hours flipping through the pages of the files, reading, writing, typing, concentrating and ultimately, double-checking for any errors. Not once did I lift my head to look anywhere other than the files, my notebook and my laptop.

By the time I was done, my hand was aching, my neck was stiff and my eyes felt sore.

My hand went to the back of my neck, gently massaging it. Laying my head back on my chair, I closed my eyes and focused on my breathing.

"Shall I send a massage therapist in there for you, Miss Woods?" Blayze's voice blared into my ears out of nowhere. I jumped in my seat, my hand reaching out to cover my mouth in order to hold back the yelp that was about to escape.

I looked around in confusion. He wasn't there. No one was. "Perhaps a comfy bed too and someone to read you a bedtime story?" His voice sounded again. I blinked before realising his voice was coming through the intercom.

"M-Mr. Colton, I-"

"Stop massaging your neck and send me the email you're supposed to." He snapped.

I slowly removed my hand from the back of my neck. How does he know what I'm doing? "There's a camera in your room." Came his voice through the intercom, as if he could read my mind.

My gaze slowly travelled to the wall in front of me and spotted the small camera in the corner. Fuck you, you privacy intruding creep.

"Sending you the email now, Mr. Colton." I said as professionally as I could, trying my best to sound unfazed.

"Hurry up." He snapped.

Dickhead.

I quickly typed his email address that Mia had given me and sent him the attached document. "Sent, Mr. Colton." I said into the intercom, but received no reply.

Now that I was aware of the camera in my room, I felt very conscious. Why the hell did he have to install a camera in my room? It made me extremely uncomfortable.

I tapped my fingers on my desk, wondering what to do next. I had completed the only task assigned to me. Should I go ask Mia about my next task or Mr. Colton? Or should I just enjoy these few peaceful seconds?

"Stop doing that," Blayze's voice snapped at me through the intercom once again. My fingers froze on the desk. "This is an office, Miss Woods, not a concert."

Ughh he's so infuriating!

"Mr. Colton, it appears you have nothing better to do than watch me through that camera." I blurted without second thoughts.

"Miss Woods, you better watch your tongue or you'll find yourself nowhere to work at other than your dad's company." He reprimanded, and I could tell he was offended by my statement.

"Mr. Colton, those are bold words coming from someone who lacks basic manners himself." I snapped back.

Everything suddenly went quiet. I gaped at the intercom in perplexity. Did I leave him speechless?

Before I knew it, the door to my room went flying open and Blayze stormed in, sporting an infuriated expression that actually sent shivers down my spine. He looked fearsome.

I stumbled onto my feet as he slammed the door behind him and stalked towards my desk, slamming his hands onto it, making me flinch and take a step back. "What the fuck did you say to me?" He growled.

Never in the twenty two years of my existence had I felt that terrified.

Wait a minute, did he just cuss at me?

"I... I tend to be blunt and straightforward, Mr. Colton." I tried to appear unfazed by his anger.

"And I tend to be the worst person someone's ever met if they dare to cross me." He said through gritted teeth.

"You are definitely the worst person I've ever met." I blurted. Mihrimah, shut up! He might kill you.

"Oh you have no idea," he said in a low and menacing tone. "Get out of my sight before I choke you." He said, his fists balling up.

"What kind of choking?" I blurted once again.