Chapter 179: Trap (3)

Começar do início

"Mm... Miii..."

In the moment when Kalas was about to respond to my threat, he suddenly widened his eyes and let out a pained scream before clamping their mouth shut. Just mentioning the letter 'M' from Michelle's Domain was enough to have a tremendous effect.

A little while later, Kalas slowly lifted his head, seemingly having recovered from the pain, and took a slow, deliberate breath. How agonizing must it have been? His sweat flowed profusely even in that short span of time, causing his hair to suck to his damp skin.

This couldn't possibly be an act. There doesn't seem to be a need for separate confirmation.

"The pact seems to have been firmly established... What's left is..."

"Should I implant an exploding spell in their ears?"

"Ehm!"

As I stroked my chin and mumbled, Cecily suggested from the side. Then, we heard a sound of someone clearing their throat from the front.

Implanting a bomb in their ear wouldn't be a bad idea in itself, but since the pact has already been made, it wouldn't hold much significance. Eavesdropping or recording spells would be more fitting.

However, eavesdropping spells were too conspicuous. While the pact wouldn't be discovered even if their bodies were searched, eavesdropping spells would be detected in eight or nine cases out of ten.

Moreover, those like Fieren, who had immersed themselves in politics for hundreds of years, prioritize safety and certainty above all else, making it highly likely they would search their bodies.

"No. It's okay. The pact alone should be sufficient. Instead, we need to prevent these people from causing any trouble..."

"That, that will never happen! I can swear to it!"

"Yes, that's right! What more do we need than a pact placed on the line?"

Even though they were pleading so desperately, it didn't feel very reliable. While watching Mael and Lena's earnest request, I glanced at Kalas.

Kalas was still catching his breath, as if the pain still lingered. Beads of sweat were also forming at the edge of his forehead. In truth, the future depended on how well these people could act their part. If we were to raise suspicions from the Council of Elders, it would lead to nothing but trouble.

As I pondered over what to do, I decided to bring up more specific questions to establish a detailed plan. This was about the situation after I had dismissed them.

"When you return, are you planning to report to the elf named Fieren?"

"...Yes."

"Then you'll speak of the results of the tracking."

Instead of replying verbally, Kalas nodded his head. This was where we needed to make good use of the pact. The covenant had the effect of inflicting severe pain when revealing the 'truth' related to Xenon, but I had set it up so that it wouldn't have any effect if they were telling lies.

So, if these people mixed lies into their report, they would pass through without any issues. Even if a bit of truth was mixed within falsehoods, the pact would still be triggered. There was almost no way to escape from its grip once it took effect.

'However, openly admitting that we intentionally used the pact would cause problems.'

People naturally come up with various ideas when they are pushed into a crisis. Therefore, it would be wise to prepare for the unexpected. The question is, can we prevent even that? Or can we make it impossible to even have such thoughts? We must choose one of these two options.