Chapter 31: Gathering (6)

Marie, the daughter of Duke Requilis and a freshman in the Academy's Academics Department, was in a good mood right now.

She used to dislike going to events like family gatherings, yet she always wanted to help her family someday. Even if you have knowledge that surpasses others, if you lack the experience to apply it, it is meaningless. It was to put what she'd been learning at home into practice through her family's ideology.

In fact, each experience she had in a social setting was extremely beneficial, so Marie reluctantly stepped forward.

Even though she wanted her makeup to be done quickly and neatly, for today's event she double-checked for any flaws. The makeup process, which normally takes about an hour, took more than three hours.

However, the makeup turned out well, and the dress she brought from the mansion fit perfectly with no flaws. Marie was satisfied with her beautiful appearance and went to the Freshman Gathering with a surprising feeling of pleasure.

"Oh! Aren't you the Young Lady of the RequilisFamily?"

"Yes. My name is Marie Hausen Requilis."

"I am Genia Cleton Hirtu of the Hirtu Family."

"If it's the Hirtu Family... Ah! Are you Viscount Madd's daughter?"

"Yes! You know him as well. It's a great honor to meet you, Marie."

"Is Miss Genia having a pleasant time?"

While on her way to the gathering, someone recognized Marie, but she handled it well. As a noble from a Ducal family, she had learned how to greet people at the age of 14 thanks to her participation in 'social society.'

Of course, she didn't interact with people while wearing a 'mask,' like some others she knew. Some people just can't act, but rumors about her had already spread far and wide in society circles. Marie, the daughter of the RequilisFamily, had a lively personality. To put it bluntly, she has a tomboyish personality, but no one dared to openly criticize her because of her background. Rather, they were too busy flattering her with plain yet sweet words.

Marie really hated such people; pretentious people hiding knives on the inside while flattering on the outside. In order to gain something, these opportunists will reveal their true selves.

'This feeling again. I really hate it.' Even though Marie couldn't act, she could tell whether people were being genuine or not by their expressions. She was different from Rina in that she could naturally pick up on social cues, whereas Rina had excellent observational skills.

She also had a strong feeling that the student Genia, who was being friendly with her, had a calculating attitude toward trying to connect with high-ranking noble families like hers. Even though she didn't show it on the surface, Marie felt very uncomfortable in this situation.

'He never gives me that feeling.' Marie was currently chatting with Genia, but in her mind, she couldn't stop thinking about the red-haired boy she had recently met since starting school here—a man with crimson hair and golden eyes that glowed like a beast from afar.

Their first meeting was not very good, but the more time they spent together, the more she realized that he was a person who was far from superficial, even if he appeared distant. Even if he lied a little, his face showed it all, and while his tone was blunt, he put his sincerity into every answer.

'Sometimes it seems like he's hiding something...' It's probably a personal secret of his, but if so, it's certainly not a ruse Marie loathed. It's not her hobby to snoop into other people's personal lives as some do.

In any case, as Marie continued speaking with Genia, she thought about the boy she was recently interested in. She arrived at the main auditorium, where the gathering was to take place before she realized it.