Chapter 139: In Alvenheim (4)

Start from the beginning

For a while, I admired the World Tree and then lowered my gaze. Beneath the towering branches, a beautiful city unfolded, comparable to the splendor of the World Tree.

If the World Tree is a gift from the gods, Yggdrasil is the first civilization built upon the land. It lives up to its reputation.

If the capital of the Halo Academy resembles medieval Europe, the streets of Alvenheim exude an ancient Greek atmosphere. It strangely fits, considering that ancient Greece had a significant influence on European civilization.

The most noteworthy aspect here is the citizens of the city. It's natural that there are many elves in the elven nation, but it's still fascinating. It feels like seeing white or black people, which are rarely seen on the streets in Korea, when you go to Europe. Moreover, they displayed vibrant and varied colors, regardless of gender, as expected of elves, making the eyes joyful.

While observing the citizens, I turned my gaze aside. Amidst the constant bustling around the streets, my eyes caught a glimpse of Marie.

"Hmm?"

When Marie noticed me staring intently, she turned her head and met my gaze. Her eyes were filled with curiosity, blinking.

Unable to resist her cuteness, I smiled warmly and gently petted her head. Marie, with her hair as lovely and adorable as any elf, was not inferior in any way.

"If Marie had long ears, I'd believe she's an elf."

"Really?"

"Of course."

"Hehe."

Marie hugged me tightly in response to my heartfelt compliment, burying her face against my chest. The elven onlookers observed our affectionate display with strange glances, but we soon had to continue on our way.

However, not all of the elves were like that. Most of them showed not only signs of discontent but also puzzling reactions, aside from walking and muttering. It wasn't because of me and Marie, but rather because of the presence of Cecily and Gartz standing beside us. As expected, the reason was that they were demons.

Unlike the elves who generally wore bright-colored garments, Cecily and Garth stood out even more with their attire consisting entirely of black shades. Adding to that, an air of nobility and dignity emanated subtly from them. Some elves even showed displeasure openly without trying to conceal it. These elves were most likely from the older generation.

Given their appearance, they displayed an aura of superiority that made others think twice before approaching them, like judges evaluating a case. It was evident that things would not have gone well if they were ordinary demons. Those elves would have easily predicted the outcome.

And Cecily, who was receiving countless cold glances...

"Achoo!"

Contrary to her mature appearance, she let out an adorable, cute sneeze. She even sniffled her nose. Her face was slightly flushed as well.

Ever since she arrived at Yggdrasil, her condition had been getting stranger, and she began to show symptoms. It was not just her, even the Gartz wes experiencing similar situations.

He seemed to be enduring somehow with a stoic expression, but cold sweat was dripping profusely. He also frequently sneezed, and the two of them seem to be the only ones whose condition has worsened. Worried, I called out cautiously,

"Noona, are you okay? Gartz's condition seems the same, and you've been sneezing since earlier..."

"Yeah, I know. It's definitely not a cold... Could it be because of the mana of the World Tree? Ugh."