Life As We Know It

He was weightless. There was nothing, no sense of time passing or anything around him. Like a sensory deprivation tank, there was simply nothing except the thoughts in his head. Was this the afterlife? Did the soul not die? Did it just continue to hover forever in this state of deprivation? It was peaceful, but it still allowed him to think and wasn't the gift of no longer having to think what he'd been seeking when he'd asked for death?

     He couldn't feel, see, or hear anything for an unknown amount of time, until far away he could hear the slightest whisper of a sound. It was like a siren call from far away. His entire mind latching on to it and seeking for its source. His body was unresponsive to his commands to move it, but his mind still wrapped around the flickering sound that grew steadily closer and louder.

     Eventually, the sound materializing into something more tangible and he could simply cry as he recognized the sound. It was his Phu's voice calling his name, louder and more insistent as time passed. Drake struggled against the sensory deprivation that kept him disconnected so he could reach Phu and answer his siren, calling his name.

     "Drake, my alpha, wake up and come to me." Phu's melodious voice wrapped around Drake, giving him the strength to break the deprivation chains that bound him. He could feel strong arms wrapped around him. Hands caressing his face, and he willed his eyes to open. After several terse moments, his eyes finally responded, and his eyes fluttered open.

     And there he was, sitting in front of him, holding on to him, trying desperately to pull Drake from the fog

     And there he was, sitting in front of him, holding on to him, trying desperately to pull Drake from the fog. His Phu stood there with broken wings, reaching out to him, granting Drake a heaven he didn't believe existed. "Phu? How?"

     Phu smiled as Drake finally came to. "I spent all these centuries in limbo, but you set me free. You reinstated my legacy, and they added your legacy to mine. It allowed us to be here for eternity. Just look," he said, sweeping his arm to draw Drake's attention to the many other wandering souls there.

     However, his eyes zoned in on the few he recognized. Boss, who'd given his life for his Little Pup, Boss' arm wrapped around a female vampire's waist. Drake assumed the woman was Maddie, as they both had a peace wrapped around them. And not far from them stood Green, the little sprite who'd set everything in motion, the true hero in Drake's eyes. Green stood next to a man with joy wrapped around them and Mil smiled as he saw they had all been reunited with their soulmates after death.

     There was a vampire heaven after all, and there was nothing left that could separate him from his Phu again. He sighed in relief and reached out to take Phu's hand, knowing with a peace entering his heart that he would never have to release it again. Drake was home.