Odds & Ends

Sarawat and Tine set the date for the official announcement of their chosen mate status to the coven for two weeks after Tine woke up. They both were ready to get the ball rolling on several things, and they both thought that would be the first big step. Sarawat and Tine spent most of their evenings together. However, Tine had to get his family affairs in order after what had happened to his family. And Sarawat had to wrap up the investigation on Pam as quickly as possible. They spent most of their days busy with their own tasks and even lost a night or two while getting their affairs in order.

     Sarawat and Type worked to get the event situated

     Sarawat and Type worked to get the event situated. While Sarawat also worked with Man and Mil on their own investigation into Pam's activities. During this time, Sarawat and Man had gone through and dismantled Pam's office, factory, and personal quarters. The amount of information he had found was unfathomable. There were journals marking not only the 3500 years she had spent with their coven, but the 1500 years she'd spent in her previous Mystic's Breath coven. Those journals providing insight into just how depraved Pam had always been.

     Pam hadn't been a slave for the Mystic's Breath coven. She'd been their leader. Her fellow members being so drawn in by her they willingly sacrificed their lives for her and hid her coven leader status from Phukong when he came to destroy them. Not only had she been their leader, but there were journals that told of how she'd had her own soulmate before Phukong had found their coven.

     Her soulmate had been a weak human, barely a servant, with no aspirations to climb any higher than where he was. He, of course, was instantly attracted and besotted by her, but she never felt anything for him but disgust that the universe had granted her such a weak soulmate. She tried to use him, to manipulate him so he could become more powerful, more useful to her, but he was too weak to see her vision.

     It didn't take him long to learn what kind of person she was and, despite the soul link; he tried to walk away from her. He had been a good, kind soul and clung to the conviction that if she couldn't change her ways, then he could not be a part of her life. He cared too much for her to turn her in, but he couldn't stick around and watch her commit her heinous crimes, either.

     For Pam, killing him wasn't enough. She had turned him first so she could destroy his soul completely. However, when she'd moved to attack him, he had suddenly roused from his changing sleep and fought back. He'd fought back hard enough to give her a run for her money and she'd almost lost. She had learned the hard way that just because a person is comatose during the changing process, didn't mean their vampire instincts couldn't kick in yet and they could still snap awake early to go into fight-or-flight mode if their body sensed danger.

     Sarawat realized the trauma of nearly being destroyed by her own creation probably had as much to do with Pam never changing Tine as the reasons they had already learned. She was afraid if an average vampire still in its changing phase could nearly take her out, then what kind of damage could a vampire with unfathomable potential do to her?