Anytime he opened the door, he could see a woman with light brown hair walking on the beach.

Especially in the early evening, when the sun sets, Juliet would walk barefoot on the white beach with an animal, unclear whether it was a black dog or a minion of the devil, that looked unattractive.

Why would she pet such an unattractive creature?

Why did I, why did you…

“What’s so cute about something like that?”

He couldn’t understand.

“Peep!”

When that thought crossed his mind, he suddenly realized he was no different from the animal in her arms.

Sly and weak.

Ready to do anything to get even a bit of her attention.

So, from the beginning, did that compassionate woman reach out to him? Recognizing the ugliness and foolishness within him, did she pity him?

He bit his lips quietly.

She doesn’t want marriage, money, or family.

If you ask.

Is it only about the child, after all?

Juliet had a nature that couldn’t easily overlook those who were young and vulnerable.

If only it’s possible, perhaps he wouldn’t miss out.

It’s astonishing, pitiable, and pathetic that what he can give is not entirely himself, but must rely on Juliet’s sympathy.

He had already abandoned his pride on the day she fled from him.

So, there must be some way.

“I want to do as I please now.”

At least, he wanted to believe that there’s a better option than doing something pathetic like watching secretly from the edge of a cliff.

‘If only I could get her back.’

He had to do whatever it took.

* * *

An old, weary priest entered the all-marble, pristine papal hall.

“The humblest servant of the Ifrit, Gilliam, returns to greet the Your Holiness.”

His name was Archbishop Gilliam, one of the elders in the papal court.

He was dressed almost like a commoner.

“Ah, finally!”

A young man rose excitedly to greet Gilliam.

A bright smile, immaculate formal wear, and a crimson pallium draped over his shoulders.

It was the young new Pope of Lucerne, Sebastian.

Sebastian’s skin was so taut that his age was hard to guess from his face alone.

With a gentle smile full of grace, Sebastian extended the back of his hand.

Archbishop Gilliam knelt down, reverently kissing the offered hand of the Pope, then rose.

“You’ve worked hard in fulfilling a difficult task, Archbishop Gilliam.”

Pope Sebastian kindly praised the seventy-year-old Gilliam.

The elderly Gilliam slowly stood up.

“Did you get a response worthy of the long wait?”

Although it sounded respectful at first, it was clearly a sarcastic remark.

In fact, Gilliam had been a strong candidate for the next pope just a few years ago.

On the other hand, Sebastian was a priest with all sorts of suspicious rumors, having originated from the heresy inquisitors.

When Gilliam and Sebastian faced off in the papal election, everyone thought Gilliam would be the next pope.

But the result was the opposite.

The young Sebastian became the new Pope, and as soon as he did, he began to assign Gilliam all sorts of menial tasks.

“Yes, Your Holiness. The village of Canaиel truly made a beautiful statue.”

Gilliam’s recent mission was to transport the new statue ‘Sorrowful Saintess’ from a remote village to be unveiled at this year’s breeding festival.

For a man in his seventies, it was a rather strenuous journey.

“Such a task seems to suit Archbishop Gilliam, Your Holiness! Truly impeccable!”

Archbishop Solon, standing next to the Pope, laughed maliciously.

Solon, being of equal rank as Gilliam, pledged loyalty to Sebastian as soon as he became Pope.

“Ugh. But aside from the mission, you should also take a bath, right?”

Archbishop Solon made a gesture of pinching his nose while laughing.

Gilliam simply smiled in silence.

“So, where is the completed statue? I’d like to check its form since it was difficult to obtain.”

“Yes, after all the effort to bring it, wouldn’t it be a problem if there’s even a small flaw?”

Archbishop Solon insincerely echoed the Pope’s words.

The implication was that Gilliam would not be permitted to rest and recover from his long journey.

It was too much to ask of a man over seventy, but Gilliam kept his polite smile.

“Of course. Archbishop Solon, you’ll join us too.”

Though he felt as if his weary bones might crumble any moment, Gilliam led the two to the secret room where the statue was temporarily stored.

Gilliam was confident.

Magda of Canabel village was a devout sculptor.

She had devoted all her effort to create a perfect piece.

Even though it was a trivial task compared to his previous responsibilities, Gilliam was content after personally visiting the small village to meet Magda.

There, Gilliam was able to experience the grace of the Ifrit goddess firsthand.

“This way.”

Flutter.

Gilliam unveiled the statue by removing the cloth that he himself had draped over it.

Beneath the black cloth, a pure white marble saintess revealed her form.