Chapter 109

Just because the Duke of Carlyle was accompanying her, Juliet felt a change in people’s attitudes towards her.

Especially from the men who tried to pretend they knew something.

From the moment the young Duke appeared, Grinvud, Charlotte’s husband, was busy bragging about his business.

Juliet glanced over occasionally, concerned about Lennox’s harsh expression and worried about what he would do to the Viscount.

Viscount Grinvud, perhaps misunderstanding Juliet’s expression, forced a friendly smile.

“Ha-ha, my apologies. Business matters might have been hard for the Lady to understand and perhaps boring.”

Juliet responded with a faint smile.

“It’s okay. It wasn’t much of a story to begin with.”

“Oh… is that so?”

“Yes. You have a knack for complicating simple matters.”

It was just a long-winded version of the story that the recently Marquis Guiness had made a fortune with a magic stone.

Juliet knew much more about the magic stone mine and Marquis Guiness than the Viscount did.

Leaving Lennox amidst such men, Juliet had quite a pleasant time with the Charlotte.

The tea party under the blooming flower trees was romantic.

Near the end of the tea party, Emma, with a book in hand, offered to read the tea leaves.

It was a popular game among the younger social circles.

The game involved interpreting the patterns of the tea leaves left at the bottom of the teacup.

With a serious look, Emma flipped through the fortune-telling book and interpreted Charlotte’s cup.

“It looks like a dove, so Charlotte’s baby will be a girl!”

“But Emma, this looks more like a puppy than a bird? A puppy means a boy…”

“But I want a niece!”

It was all playful and subjective, fitting the patterns to what they wanted.

“I’ll read yours too, Juliet!”

Cheerfully, Emma looked into Juliet’s cup.

“This is a crescent moon! And on the right, a fish?”

Looking into her own cup, Juliet did indeed see tea leaves shaped like a crescent moon.

“The crescent moon signifies a first love, and the little fish… Ah, I get it!”

After rummaging through the interpretation book, Emma delivered the result.

“Juliet will reunite with her first love and have a child in a happy family!”

With sparkling eyes, Emma asked:

“Who was Juliet’s first love?”

Juliet wasn’t easily trapped.

“There’s no chance of that, Emma.”

Juliet laughed a little at the rough interpretation.

“My first love was a man who said he didn’t need children.”

“Why?”

“I’m not sure. But he said there was no need to have them…”

Juliet inadvertently looked up to see Emma glancing surreptitiously at the gathering, seemingly connecting her story to the Duke of Carlyle.