Chapter 24

Forgotten Juliet - Chapter 24

2. Juliet’s Lover

“…Lennox, please.”

A woman with long hair spread out on the cold stone floor was sobbing.

Butterfly-shaped fragments of blue light scattered around her as she sat on the ground.

Unlike usual, the butterflies barely flickered and their wings moved feebly.

The woman, with disheveled chestnut hair, pleaded at his feet.

Her appearance alone was enough to evoke sympathy from anyone who saw her, but the gaze of the man who coldly looked down at her with a raised chin was chilling.

No matter what trick she tried, she couldn’t mend the heart of a lover that had turned cold in an instant.

“It was my fault. I won’t pressure you again.”

Even if it wasn’t love, she wanted to stay by his side.

From the beginning, he had warned her not to expect anything, but she couldn’t protect her own heart in the end.

Secretly, she might have been conceited.

For a man who had never allowed anyone to stay by his side for long, the only presence he considered special was herself.

She believed that if she patiently waited, someday even a small piece of his heart would be given to her.

With that belief, she endured.

However, her futile hope shattered in an instant.

“…I won’t mention that woman again. No, I won’t even utter her name.”

She didn’t need kind words or a smile.

He was indifferent to everyone, and that was fine.

But what she truly couldn’t bear was that the man, who had been so heartless to everyone else, was different with only one person.

And that person who received his affectionate smiles wasn’t her.

The place by his side that he allowed only for one person could never belong to her.

She finally realized that everything had been a misconception from the very beginning.

Far too late.

“Please, Lennox, our child…”

“Juliet Monad.”

As if signaling that he couldn’t listen anymore, the man cut her off.

With his limited patience, even tolerating the crying woman had its limits.

He reached out his hand and lightly lifted her chin.

With watery eyes, she looked up desperately. But the only thing she saw in his crimson eyes, as he looked down at her, was a complete lack of emotion.

“I’m sure I warned you not to expect anything.”

Even though she had abandoned her pride and pleaded one last time, all that came back was a cold laugh that pierced her ears.

“It would be troublesome to have misconceptions. Since when were we ever ‘us’?”

* * *

Gasp.

Juliet woke up from her dream and blinked her eyes. Tears streamed down her cheeks.

Thump, thump.

The regular vibrations and the unfamiliar ceiling. And the small single bed barely brought Juliet back to reality.