Chapter 8

Forgotten Juliet - Chapter 8

The ball had begun, and it was the fourth change of dance.

Several times, people pretending not to know Juliet Monad approached her and offered champagne, but she shook her head and refused.

“I’m not feeling well.”

Lennox watched the scene from a balcony a little further away.

Perhaps because of what happened at the temple during the day, curious onlookers continued to gather around Juliet.

However, it seemed that the excuse of not feeling well wasn’t a pretense, as the men who went to ask for a dance returned empty-handed.

There was only one moment when Juliet, who had kept her seat without paying any attention to the surroundings, showed interest in people.

Other young ladies gathered on one side of the ballroom, bursting into laughter.

“Congratulations on your marriage!”

“You’ll be a lovely bride.”

Judging from the reaction, she seemed to be a bride-to-be preparing for her wedding.

Juliet glanced at the shy bride-to-be with an inscrutable gaze.

Lennox Carlyle became curious about what Juliet was thinking.

‘Come to think of it…’

Lennox pondered again.

While he observed, there were hardly any people who approached Juliet to strike up a conversation.

At best, they were either curious or mocking.

‘Is that why you’re standing there alone?’

Lennox didn’t like the sight of her standing on the balcony all by herself, like a child who had lost her mother.

He recalled how Elliot, the secretary of the Duke, and Cain, Juliet’s bodyguard, had desperately tried to defend Juliet Monad. He even openly asked if she could be spared, not knowing what wrong she had done, using excuses that didn’t even sound convincing.

“A while ago, a maid whom she was close recently got married and left. Maybe she made a mistake because of that? Can’t you give her a chance?”

Lennox found it quite amusing to see his subordinates, who resembled troublesome employees, panicking and trying to protect her.

So, Lennox decided to leave them in their delusions.

In truth, he didn’t take the possibility of Juliet playing around with another man very seriously. It wasn’t because he trusted Juliet or because of his own self-esteem, but because it was unlike Juliet Monad to do such a thing.

So Lennox considered other possibilities.

The strange thing might not be Juliet Monad, but Lennox Carlyle himself.

If it were his usual self, he wouldn’t have bothered investigating the whereabouts of a lover.

At this point, he should have ended this relationship to prevent any further trouble.

However, he hesitated.

‘Have I fallen in love?’

Love.

In reality, their relationship should have ended before it even began.

With all the previous mistresses, he got bored very quickly, so he preferred easy, short relationships.