09|THROWN UNDER THE BUS

ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 9

ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 9

I watch as she enters the house and shuts the door behind herself

I watch as she enters the house and shuts the door behind herself. I decide to drive home when I see her brother's car parking into the garage.

*

I open the door using my spare key, the time is currently. 21:00 so I think to only person asleep right now is Hlelo.

"Took you long enough. Uphuma kuphi?" Sihle asks as I enter. "Hello to you too Sphesihle, I'm good thanks for asking" I roll my eyes at her.

"Mxm. You are being summoned at the devil's den" She tries to hide her smile. "You sold me out?'' I raise my voice.

"No. You just forgot that you were grounded and didn't return home right after class. Ma found out by the way. There's a low possibility you won't get your ass beat" She warns me.

I walk down the hallway before knocking. "Come in" I walk in to find both my parents there.

Great, double the trouble.

"You asked for me?" I ask. "Hlala phansi Melokuhle" Ma orders and I sit on one of the chairs.

"Uphuma kuphi?" Ma asks. "The school library and Town" I honestly say, not specifying where exactly I was.

"The school library closes before 6. And where exactly in town were you and what were you doing there?" She folds her arms.

"I left the library at 6 Ma"I ignore her second question. "Melokuhle ngizokuthela ngempama" Her voice gets higher.

"Ngenzeni?" I raise an eyebrow. "You know very well thay you're grounded. Meaning after school you come right back here, what did you? You went against me and started parading the whole of Johannesburg!" She shouts.

"Why am I even grounded? I did nothing wrong.'' I try to defend myself. "You know what okay. Do whatever you want. Awufuni ukuthi umuntu akutshele ukuthi wenzeni? Yenza noma yini ofuna ukuyenza, futhi uphume kimi" She walks out of the room.

"Ma" I call out. "Hhayi, Voetsek wena" She slams the door shut on her way out.

I turn to look at my father. "Ungangibuki" He dismisses. "Does that mean I'm not grounded anymore?" I try my luck.

"You heard her. Do whatever that it is you want" He shrugs. "But I did nothing wrong" I defend.

"I know. Her emotions are just all over the place at the moment... I don't suggest talking back when she's busy ranting'' He adds.

"Ha. Baba" My eyes widen. "Yini?'' He shuts his laptop. "Umithisile?" I gasp. "Hey wena thula" He commands.

"Does she know?'' "No" He deadpans. "She's going to kill you when she finds out'' I state.

"I'm prepared" He shrugs. "Meaning?" I rais ean eyebrow. "I shift the attention. To you" He smiles.

"Mina?" I frown. "I know where you were, but she doesn't. She thinks you're doing drugs. But when she finds out it's actually a girl. I'll be off the hook" He casually says.

"You want to use me as bait? I didn't agree to any of this" I argue. "It doesn't matter. Do you want me to sleeo outside?!" He indicates.

"It wouldn't be a bad idea. If you throw me under the bus I'm taking all of you with me" I get up from the chair.

"Good luck. She's my wife, I come first" He brags. "She's my mother, she'd choose me any day instead of you" I walk out.

"So. Did you get your ass beat?" I bump into Ntsika. "You're 9" I say. "And?" He shrugs.

"Melo!" I turn to the side to see Hlelo wide awake. "Hey Princesse" I pick her up.

"Why are you still up?" I secure her in my arms. "Ntsika woke me up" She says and I turn to face him.

"I did not even touch you Hlelo. Unamanga" He argues and I walk into the kitchen with the both of them arguing.

"Nibanga umsindo" Ma says looking up from her phone. "But she's lying" Ntsika complains.

"I'm not!" She shouts. "Ntsika, Take your sister to bed. Now" She orders as I put Hlelo down.

Ntsika grabs her hand and they walk out acting like they weren't arguing a minute ago.

"Ma. Ngiyaxolisa" I turn to face her. "uXoliselani Melokuhle?" She ignores me still looking down at her phone.

"For everything. i shouldn't have spoken to you like that. I'm sorry" I sincerely say.

"Are you crying?" I frown upon seeing the tears flowing down her eyes. "So now I can't cry?" She sniffs.

I go over to her and wrap my arms around her. "The next time you do that I'll beat you. I'm not joking" She mutters and I softly smile.

"What are you doing?" I ask pulling away as she sniffs my shirt. "Nkosinathi!" She shouts from the top of her lungs.

A few moments later he comes into the kitchen. "Yini? Are you crying? What did you do to my wife?" He scans the room.

"I did nothing" I take a step back. "Come here" She motions for my dad to step closer.

"Yini Zanothando?" He asks stepping closer. "Melokuhle, sondela" She pulls me closer.

"Smell this" She motions to my shirt and he smells it. "And?" He shrugs. "That's feminine fragrance Nkosinathi" She sighs.

"And...?" He asks again. "He's not doing drugs, he's sleeping around" She face palms herself.

"I'm doing neither of those things" I honestly say. "Then why are you always home late?" She questions.

"Uhm.... Baba got you pregnant" I blurt out. "Thanks a lot" He says to me. "He what?!" She turns around.

"I-Uhm. Zanothando, my love listen- It wasn't intentional you know I-" She cuts him off.

"Is it true?" She frowns. "I-Uhm" He mutters. "Nkosinathi, is it true?!" She raises her voice. "Yes, but I swear I didn't do it on purpose." He sighs trying to hold her hand.

"Yes you did Nkosinathi! Ungangithinti! I told you to let me tie my tubes and now look. I don't want another baby Nkosinathi" She walks out.

"That was way better going than I thought"He shrugs. "You're not sleeping in this house tonight, Angifuni ukukubona" She peaks her head into the kitchen.

"Mxm. You threw me under the bus" He glares at me. "You were going to throw me under the bus, I had to think fast" I try defending myself.

"I'm telling your mother about the girl. You're going down with me"

 You're going down with me"