Chapter 25

Frost's Pov~

Shadow's jaw latched around Dane's neck and as he skidded to a hault he threw him to the ground with force.

Dane was startled so all he could do was yelp out in pain pitifully. He quickly regained his composure however and started to struggle to get out of Shadow's hold on his neck. Shadow growled in response, biting down harder as Dane's blood flowed down his chin and Dane whimpered again before finally slumping to the ground in defeat.

I growled as I watched, silently wishing to get a turn as a dark wisp brushes against my heart.

Shadow must have heard me because he looked up and his gaze locked with mine. A weird little thrill ran through me at the view of him with the rude wolf limp in his jaws. The thrill suddenly turned dark and I quickly tried to rein it in. To shut it out. However my mate must have seen it in my eyes.

He dropped the wolf before walking back over to me, blood stained his teeth when he spoke.

"Would you like a go with him as well?"

The dark thrill reemerged with a force and a deep growl left my thoat. "Can I?"

Shadow stalked toward me. "Of course, let me just sever the pack bond with him. Afterall, such disrespectful talk and actions can not be tolerated." He looks over toward the grey wolf still crouching on the ground. "How about you, I heard that you also gave my mate some trouble."

The wolf stiffened at his words and lowered his head further. "The fault is mine for that brief incident. I take responsibility for my words."

Shadow growled and took a step in his direction, but I stopped him with my tail. He glanced at me curiously and my darkness receded enough to think clearly.

"Leave him be. We did have a little tension earlier but all is forgiven. I see no reason to harm him."

Shadow held my gaze before nodding once and looking back over.

"Tank you are dismissed."

"Yes sir." Tank's reply was crisp and brief before he rose and backed up, turning around only when he was a distance away.

I tilted my head at his retreat. "So his name is Tank?" I asked, looking over at Shadow.

"Yeah, his human's name is Zeke. He is also the second...well, now I guess third, best fighter in the pack."

"Oh? Then why isn't he your beta instead of Luke?"

"Well, I did offer him the position when I became Alpha. However, he turned it down. Said he wasn't any good with pack politics and that all of it just gave him a headache."

I nodded at that, fully getting it.

"That doesn't make him any less loyal though," Shadow continued. "If anything, he's the one of the only ones in the pack we fully trust. Jack and I would even consider consulting with him on various topics if not for his strong show of reproach and distaste for such things."

I blinked in suprise. "Huh, I wouldn't have figured he was that kind of guy. I kind of figured there was more to him than meets the eye. Especially when he looked to have a soft side with how he approached the pets."

Now it was Shadow's turn to nod as he stared at the spot where Tank disappeared. "He's always had a softer side for small animals and children.
He actually told me one time how he longed to finally meet his mate one day and settle down to have some pups of his own. He's not like some of the other wolves who just choose a mate. He's patiently waiting for his, just like how I had waited for you."

Shadow turns his head back to meet my eye and my heart warms again as a warm breeze drifts by, shifting our fur and mixing our scents together.

It was one of those moments that Aiden sometimes talked about on the days he was feeling especially lonely. When we didn't have a pack and were just drifting through the days and motions.