Chapter 7

Before I start this chapter I need to say that THIS photo is in fact mine. That's all.

Aiden's Pov~

I turn back to the kennels and decide to start at the bottom. I gently knock on the bars of the cage and one of the kittens stick its head out of the pile. They quickly leave their pile and run over to the bars, trampling of the others in its wake. As it reaches the bars I reach out and gently storke it's soft fluffy grey head. It meows out at me and and tries to grab my hand and bring me closer. I chuckle and give it a scratch behind its ears.

Wether its was the meow or being trampled on, the other kittens awoke from their nap and rushed to the front of the cage to greet me as well. They meowed and reached through the thin bars with their tiny paws. Creating a ruckus and waking all the other kittens in the process.

I laughed outrite and moved on to the next cage, and then the one after that and so on. Petting each kitten in turn and giving them a bit of love, because who knows how long they stay in those kennels waiting day after day.

When I finally reach the last cage I frown. I don't see any kittens inside, only a water and food bowl along with a black blanket. I gently knock on the front of the cage again, once, twice, and then on the third knock the blanket finally moves. I smile as another kitten pokes its head out, its green eyes staring into my own. However its eyes were more of a dark sage rather than my emerald ones.

As it stood up the blanket fell off of it and I finally got a good look at it. This kitten was older than the others, but not by much, and its was leaner as well. I contemplated if Joy would get mad at me for opening the kennel and I just thought 'screw it' and did just that.

This kitten was quieter than the others and only struggled a little as I picked it up. I could never tell the genders of cats apart so I didnt even bother to look, instead I glanced around until I saw a folder organizer hanging on the wall. I put the kitten back into its cage and closed it before walking over and checking it out.

It looked like the folders were sorted by numbers. I was confused at first until I looked back at the kennels and realized that they each had a number plate attached to the bottom right corner. I looked at the plate attached to the kittens cage before turning back to the folders and searching for the matching one.

Finding it I pull it out and take a look.

Hmmm. Male tabby kitten about 9 weeks old. I snort as I look at the name they assigned him. Gerald. I mean there's nothing wrong with that name, but I don't think it suits him.

I put the folder back into its rightful place and walk back over to the cage. Gerald is patiently waiting for me by the door of the kennel and when I return he finally lets out a low meow. I raise a brow, okay, maybe Gerald wasn't that far off.

I open the kennel and pick him back up, now that I'm thoroughly examining him he's actually pretty scrawny, though he looks to be well fed. As he reaches up, he gently taps my cheek and I smile. I take his paw off and do a double take.

Huh, he has 7 toes instead of 5. I take a look at his back paws and see that instead of 4 he has 5. That's odd, is he defective?

I pet him a bit and he starts to purr in my hands. I chuckle and bring him closer, cuddling into my neck as the vibrations of his purring sooths me.

"I'm sorry boy, but I need to leave real quick." I say gently, and give him one last pet before putting him back and closing the door. I walk back to the front of the store and see a few people crowed around the booth holding the puppies. I frown wondering if the cream colored one got adopted yet, but I refrain from walking over.