Knuckles: And if that doesn't work?

Shadow: We pray to whatever deity will save us from utter destruction.

Knuckles: *sarcasm* Wow, you're such an optimist stripes, really brings up the moral here.

Shadow: It's not my inte-

Shadow stops dead in his tracks as he looks at a door while Knuckles continues walking for a few steps.

Knuckles: What?

Shadow says nothing so Knuckles stops and turns around to see Shadow looking at the door.

Knuckles: What's wrong?

Shadow: I need a moment in here.

Knuckles shakes his head.

Knuckles: I'm not wasting any of our precious time so that you can take a nap. My friends' lives are at-

Shadow: Please... I need to see it one last time.

Knuckles: What are-

Knuckles looks and sees a name tag on the door that reads "Maria Robotnik".

Knuckles: Oh... ok. Take your time.

Shadow's eyes slightly widen in shock but quickly nods.

Shadow: It won't take long.

Shadow enters the room to find it full of dusty and worn down stuffed animals, pictures and drawings of Maria and Shadow having fun. Shadow smiles slightly as he walks throughout the room until he stumbles across a desk with a map sitting on the desk. Shadow brushes the map as memories begin to flood through his brain.

(27 years ago)

Shadow: Do you ever get bored of just drawing me?

Shadow is laying on Maria's bed tossing a ball up into the air as Maria is drawing at her desk.

Maria: Nnnnnnope!!! You're such a great model to work with Shadow, you really just scream "I'm too cool for school!". You're such a wannabe edgelord.

Shadows chuckles and shakes his head.

Shadow: Sure, and you're a pretty princess.

Maria does an exaggerated gasp of shock.

Maria: I can't believe you!! I could so be a princess!!!

Shadow laughs at loud.

Shadow: Hardly, miss "I rather be tinkering with tech beyond my understanding then sit still on a throne". You're too tomboyish to be a princess.

Shadow feels something hit his head.

Shadow: OW!!

Shadow reaches down and grabs a pencil that Maria threw at him. Shadow turns to see a mischievous smile form across Maria's face. Shadow stands on top of the bed with a devilish smile plastered across his face.

Shadow: Ok, that's it!!! REVENGE TIME!!!

Maria quickly gets away from her desk as Shadow jumps at Maria, tackling her to the ground as he starts to tickle her.

Maria: Shahahahahadooooow, stohahahahahap iiiiitttt!!!!

Shadow: NEVER!!! TASTE MY REVENGE, POOR DEFENSELESS PRINCESS!!!

Shadow is about to go for another round of tickling when suddenly Maria starts coughing really hard. Shadow's face turns from fake malice to utter concern.

Shadow: Maria!!!

Shadow quickly grabs her and helps her to her bed and grabs a towel from the desk and gives it to Maria to cough into. Shadow sits next to Maria as she slowly stops coughing. Shadow looks at the towel, now stained red.