Short: Sitting In a Tree

14 year old Megan's Pov:

Megan and Shawn sitting in a tree...

 K. I. S. S. I. N. G...

First comes love...

then comes marriage...

then comes babies in a roller carriage. 

Just an hour ago when I heard that chant, it annoyed the hell out of me.

I didn't see how my friends teased me about dating Shawn when he literally had a journal almost full of girls phone numbers. Why did they think we were a good match when he's never looked at me the way I look at him? What made people think that there was a chance for us when I don't even see a chance for myself?

Usually I'd brush it off, ignoring it, because I didn't want to let myself have that sliver of hope that Shawn might like me...

But today, I'm letting myself enjoy this moment.

"No, no, you got it all wrong." I laugh into my hand to be as quiet as possible. Shawn's trying his hardest to defend himself as to why Nana had to whoop him to get a shower earlier today.

It's past one in the morning and everybody is asleep. Deon passed out on the couch and no one brought him to the room where I'm currently at along with Shawn. Right now, we lay side by side on our sides looking at each other when we talk.

"Whatchu mean? I was around to smell it." I say back letting him know that I saw her chase into to the bathroom with a belt, and he did, in fact, leave a trail of a smell. I guess to spare my feelings he smacks his lips and rolls his eyes.

"Whatever, I didn't shower yesterday so I had already planned to shower today. I guess I just took my time doing so and Nana got upset. She rushed the process."

"And did the rest of us a favor. Had the house smelling like Whataburger everywhere you went." I pinch my nose close to act like it stinks still.

"For your information, I happen to think that Whataburger smells good." The sass in his tone makes me laugh.

"I believe it." I clap back, then take a few sniffs in his direction,  jokingly. The last one I took closer to his chest and he pushed me back by my forehead.

"I think you'll be needing another one soon." I say like as if I didn't inhale enough air to speak. He made a face at me when I wave a hand by my nose. Out of instinct he closes his arms closer to his side trying to suppress his armpit.

"Now if I said something like that you'd go rat to Nana about it."

"Not my fault, you don't shower right."

"Boys don't need to shower like girls." He said it so proudly, but so wrong.

"That's gross cause you prove me to be true."

"And what about you, miss tomboy?" Now he's trying to point fingers at me. "I bet-" My hand flattens on his forehead when he tried to smell me next like I did him.

"You can't do that."

"Why not?" He scoffs out giving me a look of 'how dare you'. 

"Cause imma girl." 

"Believe me when I say that the neck below to the torso, you could be mistake for a dude."