Chapter 23: I Shoulda Got U Flowers

Shawn's Pov:

"Well, this place is a heavy no." I don't hesitate to scratch it off my list of places to go for our date. I see that flag in the back and know that this isn't the place for us.

"Next." Talking to myself.

I've been on a hunt for the right place for our date. I literally was using my community service time to do this. No one has a single clue what I'm doing while they're in school, well except Nana. She apparently knows everything.

"Okay next stop is... Minnie's? Oh yeah, the one that's over half an hour away." There's a pep in my step as I get to my car. Don't get me wrong, there are many places here that we can eat and actually enjoy, but I'm looking for somewhere that has comfort, great hospitality, and a lot of privacy to give a romantic feeling. I need the package deal, not settling for anything less. It has to be perfect the moment she steps out that door to the moment I walk her into her room.

Nana was actually the one who told me about this place. Her and grand-daddy used to come here all the times is what she told me. I thought it was sweet at first until she mentioned that every time they went out there they conceived majority of their children. I had to excuse myself from that conversation when she started going into detail about it too.

The ride there took a bit longer than expected since it's my first time driving to this area and it's a bit difficult to read the map while driving at the same time.

This is a good area, not too bad. I do a couple of spins to find the place that matches Nana's description. I wish they had some type of technology where I could just look it up and it pops up in your hand. I'd probably be dead by then.

"Oh, there it is." Wow, it's huge.

I run down the sidewalk to the restaurant, and there's a guy with a little booth standing there.

"Oh, hello, reservations?" He asks me with a smile. I return it and just shake my head.

"Oh, no. I'm just here to check it out to see if it's good for a date."

"Oh, young love. Go right in, and say the words "Tour, please?", and they'll show you around." He steps over so I may pass and check it out. It's a nice dark setting and the booths and high where you can't really see what other people beside you are doing.

"How can I help you, sir?" A host asks me.

"Tour, please?" I follow instructions.

"Oh, right this way." I follow behind her, and notices she's definitely trying to wag a tail at me.

"So right here are our..." She shows me the private rooms, the kitchen, the menu and the prices. The outside sitting area. The music is low where you can hear conversations from all around. But what I for sure noticed is that there's different type of couples here. Tall women with short men, black men with white women, black women with white men. Though, I assume they're white just from the quick glances I've made all around this place.

I like it and it definitely feels roomy. No needing to squeeze past people, which something I knows she takes into consideration when it comes to crowded places. She doesn't have to worry about being embarrassed, turning to to slide through, or squeezing herself together. She can just walk right through to her seat.

The people seem very nice to everyone they serve. I've seen the people of color here laughing with their servers. It feels like a nice gala.

"So, that's all. How's you like it?" She bats her eyes asking me cutely.

"I'm sure my girlfriend will love it." I bat mine back with the same tone of voice as her. She smacks her lips and crosses her arm. I continue to discuss with her my reservations to eat for our date nice and tell her what type of setting I want when we make our appearance. The only down side is we can't be late to our designated time.