Chapter 1: The Present

Shawn's Pov
10 years later...

I haven't seen Megan and Deon in almost 2 years. We're now seniors in high school, Class of 1979.

I'm a bit excited though. The school Deon goes to are moving into my school since it's so much bigger. We've been under construction for almost a year preparing for their school's arrival, and today's that day.

I stand outside the school along with the rest of the students. As expected my school is dominantly white with a little of Black, Latino, and Asian students. There's going to be a huge culture shock, and I know a lot of people are hating this.

And soon enough, 10 long buses full of people pull up in front of the school, cars are lined up all the way down the street waiting to find somewhere to park, so many students are walking, and other are on bikes or scooters.

After a few minutes that felt like hours, people begin to get out the buses, out their cars, park their bikes or scooters. Together as a whole, it's a huge crowd of almost 4,000 students facing us. I wonder how all of them fit into that school. A man who I'm assuming is their principal steps up to our principal, Mr. Ruth, to shake his hand.

"What it do, Babe Ruth?" Their principal says with a smile. Mr. Ruth smiles back and bring him into a hug, that causes the other school to cheer. 

"What took y'all so long?" Mr. Ruth asks.

"Uhh... The district wouldn't send more buses so many students had to walk, so I made sure to drive slow so we can keep an eye on them. And we still missin about 2 buses." Their principal seems like he's a cool guy. As they talk, I walk into the crowd of the new faces to find my friends. Squeezing myself between people, I've realized that their school is a mix of all kinds of people. Yeah it might be dominantly Black but there's so much of other races, ethnicities and cultures too.

"Yo! Shawn!" I look to see, Trey, one of Deon's friends. I walk over to them...well tried to. I turned to the person who had the audacity to grab me. It was my girlfriend, Saydey, who followed me into this crowd of people.

"Don't go over there with them. It's already bad enough that there going to this school. They don't belong here." I pull my arm from her grasp and walk over to Trey. I guess people show their true colors when it comes to change. She's just like my parents. Say their aren't racist until situations like this occur. What's wrong with people wanting a better education? Or anything better for themselves?

"What's up?" I dab Trey as soon as I get to him. When he lets me go, I take look over to my student body to see a few people from my school walk over as well. They introduce themselves, or talk to people they already know.

"Nothin much, my brotha. Deon should be somewhere if you lookin. I know y'all haven't seen each other in a minute. He gon be surprised to see you." I nod my head at him, and take a good look at him. He's so thin and sick looking. I leave with a pat on his shoulder and he gives me a smile of gaps. Trying my best to keep my patience, I recognize some of Deon's and Megan's friends, and they either say hey or bob they head at me. 

"Yo, Shawn! Over here!" I follow the voice, not caring at the looks I'm getting from people who I'm bumping into, because I was getting impatient to see them.

And there he was in his afro and out of date disco pants, glowing in the sunlight. He hasn't changed at all, and just that alone can make me cry. 

"Well don't just stand there, my nigga." I walk over and we do our special greeting, and the biggest tightest hug you can give another man without seeming gay. "Damn, you still look like a buff ass nerd." He tells me as soon as he let me go.

"And you still wearing them out of date pants." I shoot back and he makes the face that said "that's a good one" as he gave me a hand to slap. I take another look over to the people from my school, and a lot of them are throwing looks and frowning at people in the crowd. I can't help but look as these were mostly the reactions I was expecting to see. So many have came down to talk to others, and it's sad to say most of them weren't white. It was almost all of those who weren't white that came down.