Chapter 6: Confession Time

Shawn Pov:

It's been about 3 week and I've been thinking and replaying what she said to me. It's crazy because she doesn't even remember half of what she said.

I've hardly spoken to her since and it's been making my skin crawl. I know I messed up but I just don't want to lose her.

"Aight, since you in la la land, Imma head to lunch. Bro all you got to do is talk to ha."

"That's the thing I don't know what to say to her." I say closing my locker.

"I'm being neutral in this but you can't ignore her forever. Yall both started it so yall both fix it. It can't just be her." He say punching my shoulder softly. I nod my head at him understanding what he means.

"So you comin to lunch?" He asks messing up my hair.

"No, I'm not that hungry anyway. Go ahead." I say fixing my hair.

"You aint gotta tell me twice." He pats my shoulder before walkin off to the cafeteria.

I just wonder the halls thinking like I've been doing this past month. Drowning in my thoughts about what to say or do.

"Why is this so hard?" I say but freeze when I see Jack at his locker. I turn around and quickly try to walk away.

"Hey there, Shawny." I keep going feeling this unexpected amount of anger in me. You don't get to decide that. I have no right to be angry at him but-

"I'm guessing she told you." Jack snickers as he catches up to me. I stop to look at him.

"Leave her out of this." I say trying to get away but he puts a hand to my chest to keep me from going forward.

"You can't be upset. From what I heard y'all were never together, right?" He laughs. I ignore him and push my way past him.

"Okay, all I wanted to say was sorry. Sorry for all racist jokes I've made towards the both of you." He backs up with a smile holding his hands up in surrender. See this part made me stop and look at him.

"You're saying sorry?" I asked him in disbelief.

"Yep." Is all he says before leaning against the lockers.

"Where is this coming from all of a sudden?" I ask shaking my head and blinking my eyes.

"I want to become a better man for Megan." He crosses his arms.

"What? Do you realize how you not only have to be respectful to MG but also her family and other black people?" I ask holding my hands out.

"I'm very much aware of that dumbass. I've been learning here and there." He smirks at me. I scoff at him.

"You wouldn't last long."

"What makes you say that?" He leans his head forward off the lockers dangerously.

"If the both of you were in an argument which she's good at, you'd call her a slur and that wouldn't end well for the both of you." I say matter of factly. I've seen it many times. Wasting your time on someone, and just one argument they sow exactly how they see you. 

"Shawny, you don't have to worry. I wouldn't do that to her or anyone."

"But you would." I spit back.

"Oh yeah?" He walks over to me slowly with his hands in his front pockets.

"Yeah, you don't know a thing about her or her culture. You'd judge her for things that are normal in her daily life." I say not backing down even when he got into my face.