6/Groceries

Leo Blue POV

Mom clapped her hands together and took a deep breath. "Well, don't just stand there. You get upstairs and help put the groceries away."

Lesley and I hurried behind her up the carpeted stairs, both of us trying to get up first.

I took a turn to look out the window when I got to the kitchen. I wanted to see if I could even get a glimpse of Kopelyn, but it seems like she is already gone. The rest of the family has not gotten home yet, and I can assume that that family of mine decided to go out and shop for blankets or something.

"Okay, you children, unpack my bags as I attempt to fix the telephone." Mom sighs. She straightened her glasses and inspects the telephone on the wall carefully.

I went to the cupboard and began to fill the bottom shelf with cans of soup. Lesley kneels down next to me, and watches. "No." She says flatly. She reached in and moved to cans so the labels face the front. Her eyes sparkled with delight by the time she had those sorted out. "Thanks, Lesley." I say sarcastically.
"Who was it that was in the basement with you?" She questioned with an overly curious raise of an eyebrow.

I drew a long sigh, "It's a really long story."

"Is it? Or do you just not wanna tell me?"

"Can we maybe not discuss that? I want you and Mom to forget about that."

Lesley smiles slightly and shakes her head, "Can't do that." She says, then adds in a whisper voice, "She left her big fancy notebook behind."

"No." I say doubtfully.

"Yes! I saw her holding it, she put it down when Mom came yelling at you. She didn't pick it back up when she left."

"What?!" I shouted, I left Lesley with the rest of the groceries, or so I thought. She followed me as I ran, skipping steps into the basement.

"Don't read it! It could be secrets!" Lesley yelled.

"I don't really care, but do you know how many things could be in there?"

Lesley stopped as I noticed the draw book laying shut on the carpeted floor. The cover of the draw book was solid white, but the inside had to have a dark, yet colorful, evil, yet wonderful world. If I step into that, it's like stepping into someone's dreams.

"Well, give it back to her." Lesley says.

"Neh." I say as I sit criss cross, flipping the book in my hands.

"Why not?"

"I don't really know her. I only know this...." and I pull Peter Ofgrace's number out of my pocket.

"You don't know her, but you have her phone number?"

"I made her give it to me!" I am still so proud of myself for that. Lesley deepens her concerned gaze and folds her hands on her lap. She was about to speak, but kept her mouth closed.

I turn the cover open, but that's when Lesley takes a jump and closes it before I could open it. "No!" She cries.

"Lesley, you know that I'm allowed to look in a secret book. She's not even here."

"I know, I know, I know, but it's not nice!" Lesley proceeds to rip the book from my hands and roll with it on the floor for a bit. I took a dive at her, but hit my head of the railing. "Agh!" I say quietly, but loud enough for Lesley to here. Lesley, still holding the book, and one step up the stairs, turns to look at me as I lay on the floor. "Careful." She says swiftly. What I don't know, is how she doesn't feel bad for me, but has weird sympathy for Kopelyn, despite the fact that Kopelyn left and bearly even matters.

Lesley gasped and that's when I realized that Peter Ofgrace's phone number from my pocket slipped out. "Is that her number?"

"Um, yes."

"Good! Leo, you can call her house and ask her to get her book back."

This is what Lesley didn't know, "She's not at her house." I say honestly.

"Why not?"

"Don't ask me why not. That girl ran away from home and she's at a bike shop, living with some family who probably illegally adopted her. She only wants me to call from 12:00 to 2:00."

"But why?"

"She wants to keep things secret. The guy who's keeping her, Peter Ofgrace isn't there all the time, so therefore, she can secretly communicate with me. Besides, she's lonely."

Lesley placed her hands on her hips, and her eyes looked down on the floor. "Okay."

"Okay?"

"Okay."

"Kids!" Mom yells, as the scraping of her slipers become louder as she approaches the basement, "You two better not be slacking off again in the basement. You have chores, and you will benefit more by getting that out of the way."

Lesley and I didn't answer to her. Instead we spent five whole seconds, me standing on the basement floor, and her standing on the first step, and we both looks at the blank book. Then a second later, we both ran upstairs.

Author's note: Stay tuned!!