34/Boring Boring Lesley

Lesley Blue POV

It was getting late on Thursday. I had to take several runs back to work. Displaying cabinets and doors takes a lot of time and effort, especially when you've been promoted.

Scott wasn't home and it's starting to worry me. He came home from school, cooked himself soup, did homework for fifteen minutes and then all of a sudden he's gone!

I know that Marcela's kids are a bad influence. So I go to the phone and dial Marcela's number, which I've dialed so many times that I can do it with my two blue eyes closed.

"Hi, Marcela?"

"What, Lesley?"

"Scott left without telling me. Is there any chance at all that you know where he is?" I ask impatiently, starting to feel sick with worry.

"Oh! He's just out on the front lawn talking to my son, and one of those new girls. Yeah, yeah, he's fine!"

"You sure?"

"Have I ever lied to you?"

"....No...."

"Kay. Lesley, you need anything else?"

"No thanks."

"Great! Mm bye!"

So I hussle over to the front window and lean in just enough to catch a glimpse of the old front lawn on my ruthless relatives' house.

Scott was just coming back, jogging as he normally does when he's happy. I sighed with relief and went back to re organizing the kitchen cabinet.

On Friday morning, Scott wasn't as bright and cheerful as he often is on a day like today. He sat at the kitchen island chewing his oatmeal aggressively his his eyes boring into the window next to the front door.

I'm cleaning the windows off when I notice that. He hasn't looked this angry since the day he found out that I had Principal Raines in the favorite section of the phone number book!

"Scott, don't chew so hard, your mouth and teeth are going to be in pain." I tell him strictly.

"Yeah, for how long?" He asks through a mouth full.

"Just eat your food."

I couldn't tell exactly if he's mad at me, or mad at his cousins, or mad at school. He's hard to figure out when he's angry. He could cut everyone off and be alone and miserable, or he can explode, and I know very well that this kid absolutely does not do well under pressure.

"How did the pop quiz go?" I ask calmly as I sit across from him.

He sort of has a bit of a sarcastic spice in his voice as he says, "That test was even worse than being sentenced in prison for murder and drunk driving. I wonder how Leo's doing in there."

"Oh, he's going to be in that prison cell for thirty long....." I felt my own voice trail off as I had just been hit with the realization that I never told Scott about what I saw on the news. Why would I? Did I want Scott to think about such things as murder? No! But he knows about it? How does he know about it without me saying it to him?

"No, no, no, no, You were in school then, so you don't know." I say to him firmly as he tosses his bowl into the sink. "Do you think that I wouldn't find out myself?" He says in his usual sass.

"No. You have school to focus on. What goes happens on the news should not affect you."

"Everyone else learns about it! Everyone's parents tell them!"

"I'm not going to do what all the other parents do. Trust me, life would be so much easier if we focus on one thing at a time."

"But that's boring!" He complains.