Forty Two

The night sky was clear, and the stars glittered like a blanket of diamonds. The flames in the firepit cast a warm, inviting glow. After dinner, the family and I gathered around the fire pit in the backyard. Not a surprise, I sat on a loveseat with Lando, both of us leaning against the seat at opposite ends with my legs propped on his lap and a blanket covering us.

Smiling to the sight of Mila trying to roast s'mores, everyone watches her face scrunched up from how sticky the melted marshmallows were. The evening went on, filled with laughters and shared stories, especially on Lando's embarrassing childhood memories. I couldn't stop my laughter while Lando tries so hard to change the conversation.

The night got late, one by one they went in to get some sleep, Savannah and Oscar the first ones to leave with a sleeping Mila. In no time, the two of us were left alone, still deep in our conversation. Sitting up from my leg position on Lando's lap, I stared into the crackling flames and found peace in the sound. Feeling myself shiver from a breeze, Lando almost instantly wrapped the blanket around me and made sure I was fully warmed.

Thanking him with a smile, the fire's glow illuminated our faces. We somehow found ourselves drawn to each other, our eyes locked. Lando's hand found its way to a strayed strand of hair, pushing it back behind my ears. My heart raced, his hand caressing my cheek as he started leaning in. He stopped, our lips inches away from each other, his lips stretched into a contagious grin. My eyes closed, waiting for the moment but a part of me felt nervous.

Before our lips could touch, I tilt my head down while our foreheads pressed lightly. Swallowing a lump in my throat, I forced myself to speak. "W-we should go in."

I could feel Lando's heavy breaths on me, my rejection might've disappointed him. Pushing the blanket aside, I stood up but ended up sitting back down. Lando's hand tugged on my wrist down then planted a kiss, the gap finally closed. I was in shock after the kiss, his hand still caressing my cheeks. Something buildup inside me, both of my hands cupping his cheeks and met our lips once again. Feeling his smile through the kiss, we were both in cloud nine.

Wrapping his arm around my waist, Lando deepens our kiss hungrily, drawing me closer. I could literally burst right there, the hidden feelings I had for him finally out in the open. As we pulled away from the kiss breathless with our foreheads still touching, I giggled while Lando grinned madly.

"I've been wanting to do that", Lando whispered making both of us smile.