Thirty

The car ride was silent, my eyes stuck looking outside the window. After Max finding me, he knew something was wrong so he brought me home. I stayed at the door, hiding my face when Max told Lando we were leaving. Thankfully Max held him back from coming to me as if he knew I didn't want to talk to Lando.

Turning my face forward, the tears dried up on my cheeks. I felt pathetic and angry at myself for letting my feelings grew especially when Lando was so happy with Luisa. Max's hand held mine, not noticing my hand clenched into a fist. Surprised, I look at Max. He rubs my hand in circular motion with his thumb, the motion easing me.

Pulling up at our garage, Max let the ignition on but none of us saying anything. I sighed deeply, breathing the frustration away. "I'm sorry." Looking at Max apologetically, I knew I brought him into an awkward situation. "Let's go in."

Before I could turn to climb out of the car, Max spoke up. "Audrie, we know", I froze. We turned to each other, my breathing quickening. "We know about you and Lando." What? My eyes widen, embarrassed. "It was obvious, Audrie" No it wasn't.

"When?", I simply asked. Max leaned against the car door. "After you went to Milan", an unsettling feeling brewed inside me. There were millions of questions in my head, the worry and the fear stricken. "He doesn't know", Max's voice catching my attention. My fear faded, the emotion turned to relief and also heartache. Silence in the car, we both didn't know what else to say.

"Can we go in?", I asked with a sullen voice. Max nodded, turning the ignition off then both of us climbed out and went into the house. We went through the kitchen, just a few lights illuminating the empty space.

"Why doesn't he know?", I suddenly spoke, turning to Max who was quietly following me from behind. He stood, probably trying to find an answer. "You said it was obvious. My feelings for him. How is he the only one who doesn't see that?"

"Audrie", Max breathes out but I continued my self doubt. "What if he knew, Max? But he ignored it. That's why he went for Luisa. I mean why wouldn't he right? Luisa's gorgeous! She's so funny! And and so nice! I'm not."

"Audrie, stop"

"No Max, maybe that's it. Lando knew about my feelings and thought how.....how pathetic I was. Maybe he-"

I stood frozen, Max's arms wrapped around me in a hug. Blinking away, I could hear him breathing and his arms still tight around me. Somehow, it made me calm down. "Audrie, you're beautiful, and funny and very nice", he said rewinding what I said, making me chuckle. Our eyes locked into each other's, Max looking down at me. Before I knew what I was doing, I pressed my lips onto Max's.

Standing on my tiptoes, my arms wraps around his neck, deepening the brief but passionate kiss. Hearing a gasp, we pulled away and saw Niran and Lando.

Shit.