Seventeen

The engine revved and the smell of burnt tires filled my nose, laughing at my little brother's fascination. We landed in Belgium a few hours ago, my little brother - Archie - having warmed up to everyone especially his favorite F1 driver, Lando. Both of us wore headphones watching Lando test out his car at the circuit, Archie looked so small standing beside the car. Like any big sister, I was taking so many pictures of him and sending it to my mom.

Soon enough, Lando came back in the garage and climbed out heading to where me and Archie stood. He crouched down infront of Archie, showing him his cool helmet. Lando's mechanic came and handed Archie a miniature McLaren race car model with Lando's signature.

Archie's face lit up even more, if that were possible, as he held the cherished gift. "Thank you so much, Lando!" he exclaimed.

Lando chuckled and tousled Archie's hair. "You're welcome, buddy. Keep being a fan and maybe someday, you'll be out here racing with us."

I watched in awe as Lando made her brother's day even more unforgettable than I could have imagined. Since Lando was on a break, he took the chance to chat with us. "So, Archie, do you want to sit in my car?" he asked, a mischievous twinkle in his eye.

Archie's jaw dropped, and he nodded vigorously. Lando led them to his McLaren race car, helped Archie into the driver's seat, and even let him hold the steering wheel for a few seconds. Archie couldn't stop grinning, and I snapped a photo to capture the moment. While Mary takes Archie away to the hospitality unit for lunch, I follow Lando more.

We walked further down the paddock then went through a few doors until we were out on the race track. I see a few people there and one of Skysports presenter happily greets Lando as well as Daniel Riccardo. I stand aside watching them film a quick challenge video where the boys takes turn driving a McLaren supercar while asking each other questions.

Each of then took the chance to step on the pedal, increasing the speed as the take a few laps. I chuckle watching them through the screen, the boys scaring each other and having trouble with answering the questions since they were so focused in driving.

"Do you have a girlfriend?", Daniel screamed when Lando drives. The both of them grinned as if they answered telepathically. Daniel urged him to answer so Lando did. "No! Not really!"

Everyone around us hummed in curiosity. Lando couldn't stop smiling when Daniel teased them more but soon after Lando stopped the car to change drivers. Somehow his vague answer made me wonder too. A few minutes later, Lando was the last one to drive and stop back to where we are. He climbed out, taking his helmet out in fits of laughter. In a split second, his eyes landed on me for a moment before he turned his attention to the presenter. Why did that make me melt?